Just out of curiosity, how many here grew up as a Jehovah's Witness or have family members that are?

Views: 132

Replies to This Discussion

I used to study with a JW female who knocked on my door in the 80's. Their doctrine is very informative in many ways, but still could not anwser the questions I had at the time. I was always uncomfortable with the idea of knocking on peoples doors to bring the "Good News" to folk. I have some family members who are JW, but I accept them just as they are.
I was a J W for some years, a long time ago. Some of my family are still active members. And I am definitely not welcomed in some of their homes.
I knew who they were, but I didn't really grow up with them. They weren't allowed to play with us. Later a very good friend was a JW and he and I got along famously unless we discussed theology.

Don
I used to see them standing on the Chicago, South-Side, street corners with their magazines (The Watchtower). I never interacted with any of them. They would stand out there in heavy dresses and suits in the middle of July sweating like dogs.
Wouldn't they either be panting like dogs or sweating like horses?
I grew up Roman Catholic. My extended family is Christian for the most part. As a child, my parents always pointed out they were practicing Catholics and that was that. As an adult Atheist, I've always thought that if someone genuinely wished to communicate the way JW professed to desire dialogue with me, I'd invite them in and talk about our Nation's freedom of religious practice clause in the Bill of Rights. Once this happens however, they usually close up shop and move on.

Too many

My family on both sides is very JW. My father was a Bethelite and a missionary. I was born abroad as a result. The religion has been one of the most dysfunctionally divisive forces of family destruction.

I was a Witness until I was 13 and most of my fam back in Brooklyn and Upstate are as well. Ironically, so is my ex girlfriend, and it's the reason she broke up with me. An off the cuff comment got me "Apostate'd".

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Loren Miller replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
5 minutes ago
Luara replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
57 minutes ago
Ted Foureagles replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
The Devian replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Why Does Prince George Have Brown Eyes? in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Ted Foureagles replied to Kalista Whitney's discussion Was there a particular event in your life that contributed to you becoming atheist?
1 hour ago
The Devian replied to Brian Edward Croner's discussion Intelligent But Makes an Exception for Religion in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
A. D'Agio posted a photo
1 hour ago
anneshathaways posted blog posts
3 hours ago
satyam dangi replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
4 hours ago
satyam dangi replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
4 hours ago
Pandarius replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
5 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service