Hey there everyone. Is there anyone who can clarify for me what the difference is between bisexual, pansexual, omnisexual, etc. What do you guys identify as, and how far do you think it matters what labels we use?

Views: 1250

Replies to This Discussion

Some people think that "bisexual" emphasizes too much on gender polarity (meanwhile, some who are attracted strictly to masculine men and feminine women say it is appropriate for them). Pansexual and omnisexual I think mean the same thing: attracted to any type of person, or gender not mattering in who they love. "Queer" has also become a catch-all phrase, too. And I think there are even more descriptive words: I have heard "pomosexual" which might mean "post-sexual orientation" and other words.

I feel a little presumptuous calling myself queer, and with pansexual I don't know if some people will interpret that as "will sleep with anyone". I just stick with bisexual. I am attracted to both men and women, and people in between and at all levels of masculine and feminine, but I do want both males and females in my life.

Wow, that's quite complicated! I'm having a hard enough time with "bisexual"!

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out my orientation and explaining it to others. I was sexually abused by a man as a child so there are a lot of people who think I'm only attracted to women because I'm afraid of men or want to distance myself from my abuser.

I'd like to think, though, that I'm attracted to people because I like them as human beings, rather than because of their gender.
So is it kind of like being past the categories of sexual orientation?

On "will sleep with anyone" / "will sleep with anything that moves"...

There was a bisexual magazine, Anything That Moves, whose editors explained its name as turning the old stereotype on its head, into a benign tautology: we're attracted to anything that moves us.

What do people think about all the different labels? Are they divisive at all or contributing to "bisexual invisibility"? I mean some people actually will say "I'm not bisexual, I'm--" But then, some words are more descriptive for some people and people should use whatever description they like. Not like I would argue passionately either way, though--it's about like "should bisexuals try to be part of the gay community or form their own separate community?"

I'd say yes and yes. We have our own specific concerns, and we share the wider LGBTQI* community's concern about being able to live and love as who we are, without being forced into "straight and narrow" boxes.

The difference is primarily in the age of the person who uses the label. There is no technical difference between bi/pan/omni, we'll all still fuck anyone we want to no matter what their gender or gender identity may be. When I came out as bi, the words "pan" and "omni" had not yet been created, and like most bisexuals, mine is an "anything that moves" style of affectional and sexual orientation. Being bi NEVER meant "excluding transgender" until the 21st century when young people tried to carve out a new bi identity, calling it "pansexual" and "omnisexual" which in many cases has included fabricating hateful biphobic and transphobic concepts behind their new words.

Bisexuality is defined as an attraction to both the same and other genders. So is pansexuality, so is omnisexuality. Some people refuse all of these labels and stick with "fluid" or just "queer."

But really, the only difference is the age of the person. Bis over age 40 usually call themselves bi, bis in the mid20s-late30s may go with bi or pan, and very young people may use omni. But all three words mean the exact same thing and have the exact same results: the person who id's as bi/pan/omni is open to romantic and/or sexual partners of any gender.

My own data point would agree: I'm over 40, call myself bi, and see my orientation as "anyone that moves me"

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service