Views: 240

Replies to This Discussion

Just stunning! What would be their chance of survival if let loose?

None.  Although canaries have a wild relative, they are equivalent to a poodle.  Certainly a poodle has the traits and digestive system of a wolf, but it's appearance and temperament have changed to make it tatally domesticated.  The Gouldian Finches were originally from Australia.  These guys also have been bred in captivity for so long, that many of their colors are domestic mutations.  They lack the skills to live in the wild.

Certain hookbills can suvive (never a good idea) if let lose, but most become food for something else.  The quaker parrot is an exception and it even breeds in northern states.

Domesticated with incredibly beautiful coloring. Kind of like the tropical wild birds. I do occasionally see and hear a canary in my garden and I assume it is an escapee. Do you have an aviary, or how do you set up for different species? 
I had never heard of Lady Gouldian Finches and found this site:

Lady Gouldians of Wyndham

If your garden bird is truly a canary, it probably won't survive long term.  You might be misidentifying it.  I have several aviaries and super sized cages.  The finches and canaries are inside because canaries are weakened and eventually killed by mosquitoes.

Gouldians are notorious for not raising their young in captivity.  Breeders use another finch to hatch and raise the babies.  I let my Gouldians raise their own.  Although not as prolific as some other pet birds, they do a good job with proper care and space.

How wonderful. I'm so proud of you for raising these birds by hand Dominic and with such care.

I suspect I misidentified the yellow bird. I surely wish it well when it comes to my feeders and water. I get a really sick feeling when our neighborhood hawk comes to call; I have lots of protection of shrubs and brush for the little ones to hide.

Your place must be a magic land with all those critters. Is it not interesting how other birds will raise eggs not their own. In some ways that is a downfall ... I'm told the starlings kick out unhatched eggs. I will have to pay attention to kinds of whole eggs land on the ground. 

Do you encounter any diseases and how do you manage pests and diseases? Misquotes make life miserable for me too and I attempt to attract in bats and insect eaters.  

I dislike the hawks because I love songbirds, but they are part of nature also.  I have a lot of them and have to keep outside cages very secure.

I have seen documentaries and have also experienced this in captivity.  Birds are nnot really monogamous.  They do pair off, but they cheat on each other.  I let the canaries breed in a colony instead of by pairs which is the tradition.  Multiple birds were feeding the babies.  Studies have shown that males can't be sure if the babies carry their DNA so they help raise them.  But, they say that most babies do are genetically related to the pair. I've seen babies that obviously look like some other cage mate. This goes on from nest to nest, with multiple copulations and feedings.  It's one big orgy, al;though they do have a pair bond and the birds squabble with "outsiders."

I love hearing your stories about how you care for the birds Dominic. Thanks so much for sharing with us, appreciate it.

Oh! How Interesting! What a good way to observe birds and come to understand their behavior patterns. 
Is chicken wire adequate to protect from hawks? 

Thanks for the information about how they pair. I didn't know that. Happily, the colony feeds the babies ... that would be nice for humans too. I like the thought of their having a bonding, even if it is open.

I really enjoy your posts. Thanks.  

Chicken wire rots in a few years.  I had my pens re-wired with a heavier gage over the chicken wire.  Many predators can get through it eventually.

Does chicken wire rot because it is thin? Is there a thicker wire that predators can't get through eventually?

OK, here comes the hard question: do you eat your chickens?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service