I'm no great-shakes ornithologist.  Hell, I'm not even a birder all that much.  But maybe a year or so ago, as I came back home from running an errand, something behind my garage startled as I opened the garage door and quickly flew up to the power pole at the back of my property:

I think he was looking for lunch, or a close approximation thereof.  My good fortune was that he hung around long enough for me to get a couple good pix of him (or her, as the case may be.

I am fairly certain my visitor was a hawk, though of what specific variety, I don't know.  I've seen more than a couple hawks and perhaps a falcon hereabouts recently, maybe more sitings in the last few years, which I think of as encouraging.

As it happens, there is also a heron rookery not far from here, though I haven't any pix of them ... yet.

Tags: hawk

Views: 40

Replies to This Discussion

That is a hawk Loren, you are correct - I can look it up in my field guide to look at the markings to get the correct species name. Beautiful bird Loren - thank you so much for posting.

Great shots, and look at that beak! Ready to make quick work of a mouse or squirrel. 

I think it was posing for you.  Look forward to more pics.

Yeah we would love to see more! Your friend loves the camera! : )

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service