Simply put, we tend to use more prefrontal cortex to compensate for our lack of instinctive/empathic communication. We tend to be more objective, more logical, more likely to require evidence before accepting an out-there claim and more likely to question even our own out-there claims.

While there are definitely religious Autistics (just visit Wrong Planet's Politics, Philosophy and Religion forum), it seems to me that if one could do a study, our numbers would come out with more Atheists per capita than NTs. 

Views: 147

Replies to This Discussion

True, and Aspies certainly aren't impervious to religion. I used to post on WrongPlanet.net a lot and boy the religion forum could get heated.

Still though, with objectivity (or lack thereof) and rationality being major factors, I still would bet our per capita Atheism ratio is a bit higher than NTs. Just a hunch!

Wasn't there a story in the headlines awhile back that for us on the spectrum, our brains kinda short-circuit on teleological reasoning...questions like "What is the lesson in these events having happened", i.e. attributing some kind of agency to the universe/God...strike us IMMEDIATELY as absurd and we're likely to just blurt out "nothing; stuff just happens, dude!" where as NT atheists will initially get sucked in and then reason out that it's an absurd proposition.

After getting my A.S. diagnosis, I have a deeper understanding of why people prattling on with their platitudes about "everything happens for a reason" has always pissed me off so very, very much. ;-)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service