iiNet slays Hollywood in landmark piracy case

The giants of the film industry have lost their case against ISP iiNet in a landmark judgment handed down in the Federal Court today.

The decision had the potential to impact internet users and the internet industry profoundly as it sets a legal precedent surrounding how much ISPs are required to do to prevent customers from downloading movies and other content illegally.

But after an on-and-off eight-week trial that examined whether iiNet authorised customers to download pirated movies, Justice Dennis Cowdroy found that the ISP was not liable for the downloading habits of its customers. [continued]

Now I'm not an iiNet customer purely out of the tyranny of geography. Bit if anyone is shopping around for an ISP... They deserve all our support for fighting the good fight, not just with this - they have also been the loudest voice against the proposed Great Firewall of Australia.

Tags: iinet, mafiaa, sanity

Views: 9

Replies to This Discussion

I'm an iiNet customer (8 years or so; churn? What's that?), and most happily recommend them to anyone looking for an ISP. Never had a problem or issue (at least none that I can recall) with them.
I wonder if this idea that ISPs are not responsible for user downloads could copy over to ISPs not being responsible for implementing Senator Conroy's filter?
Doubtful. This issue seems to hang of "positive obligation". From the judgement, the law recognises no positive obligation on any person to protect the copyright of another. In the case of Conroy's filter, there will be a positive obligation as the law will require ISPs to install the filter.
The impression most ISPs seemed to have was that this law suit targeted IInet because of their stance against the proposed filter. I know this for a fact having spoken to people within the industry. The reason no other ISP's spoke out was because they didn't want to get sued.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service