http://ozcatholicleague.com/wordpress/?p=126&cpage=1#comment-100

Atheism: King Of The Bigots

2 APRIL 2010 33 COMMENTS

David Nicholls. The image is from his public 'Atheist Nexus' account.

David Nicholls. Sound familiar?

It shouldn’t.

Mr. Nicholls’ is the President of the Atheist Foundation of Australia, and today in response to an Easter sermon claim by Bishop Anthony Fisher of Parramatta, that Atheism has been responsible for some evils of the world, and that Atheism hates Christianity, Mr Nicholls stated:

‘He seeks out a scapegoat and attacks atheism without any understanding of what he is saying,”

“To state we hate his god or are attacking his god is nonsense.

“How does one hate or attack that which does not exist?”

Nicholls, and his Foundation constantly espouse how much better the world will be without religion. They talk about the intolerant nature of religion and the way it promotes hate. Yet here we have an example of a man doing what he critcises religion of doing promoting intolerance. Nicholls’ claims that it is OK to insult religion, because at least according to him God does not exist. Further, that if God does not exist then surely any insult leveled at God would be fine, because after all the non-existent God would hardly complain. This is the problem with people like Nicholls, it does not matter whether God exists or not. You have to be respectful of other peoples beliefs. You might disagree with them, but at the very least, you should show respect. To say it is OK if I attack your religion, because I don’t think it matters, is a clear sign of bigoted subjectivity that even some Nazis would be jealous of. This is a clear attack not on God, rather the people that believe in God.

The obvious hypocrisy is that Fisher should have shown respect and not attacked Atheists’ beliefs. The problem with this hypothesis is that it assumes that atheism as an ideology is friendly and respectful towards Christianity and namely Catholicism. Atheists, at least those of the aggressive and militant variety are not friendly. Richard Dawkins on a recent trip to Australia, called Senator Stephen Fielding as ‘dumb as an earthworm’ and the Pope a ‘Nazi’. Atheism lives off negativity, it breeds and multiplies only by uniting in hate. In contrast, Catholics will remember at all Good Friday services, there is a Prayer of the Faithful devoted towards helping Atheists.

That is not to say that Christians do not attack Atheism, but let us remember the creed of Atheism seeks to rid the world of Christianity. Christianity (at least practiced as it is supposed to be) is respectful of other peoples beliefs. Christianity respects Atheism and the rights of those who practice it to hold their beliefs. Christianity believes in individual morality. While it appears Atheists do not extend this same right to Christians.

This is not the first time Nicholls’ and his organisation have run into public outcry whilst promoting its charter of intolerance. In 2008 during the Catholic World Youth Day, his organisation, supposedly of devoted Atheists, teamed up with the UFO Raliean Cult in the NoToPope coalition. The Ralieans are of course the infamous UFO sect who believe their French leader (an ex-journo) is God, and also claim to have cloned babies. Together the AFA and the UFO cult Ralieans, with some other organisations, all collectively attacked the Pope. The irony of Atheists joining with a cult to attack another religion is of course, not lost on us.

In our opinion, Mr. Nicholls’ is an interesting character. Not least because he believes it is OK that he ridicules other beliefs, as long as he does not share them. Or because he joined up his Atheist organisation with a UFO cult. Rather because he just seems so angry. He does not like Christianity,  however it appears he is aligned with some UFO religions. People like him live on an agenda, and will jump at any opportunity to present it. Hopefully Mr. Nicholls in the future will demonstrate the respect that Atheism supposedly has for beliefs. We however remain as skeptical on this, as we do towards the imminent arrival of Raliean UFO’s.

==========================

There is a comments area on the page if you care to leave a message ;-) 

Lots of people have commented on the hypocrisy of the article !

Views: 103

Replies to This Discussion

Depends if it was dark, milk, or white chocolate.

[inquisitorial stare; slightly menacing voice] So, which one was it? Are you an eater of the One True Chocolate?
Ummm....dark for preference but not too crazy dark.
Good milk...yes, that has a place in worship.
White chocolate is barely chocolate, it's a con, it's the devil's chocolate.
There is only Dark Chocolate everything else is of the pale god and sinful !
Sir, yes Sir!
Good! so building an army of mindless followers worshiping the the holy creed continues :-)
There is only Dark Chocolate, Sir, everything else is of the pale god and sinful, Sir. I have begun indoctrinating my children in the good news about chocolate.

Tell me, does the sin of milk chocolate consumption carry the penalty of eternal hellfire, or stoning then eternal hellfire?
Our hell is worse than christian hell.

Like the Simpsons Ironic torture hell you will be pleasured by those things that delight you untill you can take no more and explode.

then your body will be reconstituted and resurrected so you can be pleasured again untill you expire

Muhahahaha

The downside is our heaven is exactly the same :-(
I on the on-line article thus:

What bigoted twaddle! Here is the Catholic Church sowing hatred again.

The Catholic faith does not “respect” atheism or those who accept its one and only belief (that there are no gods) or, more accurately, lack of a belief in such things. It seeks to destroy those who do not believe in their version of the supernatural or at least in someone else’s version of it. It reserves the right to soundly criticise the non-Believer’s position and to hurl ad hominum attacks on them. In contradiction to objective evidence of the contrary, they are painted as evil, immoral, anti-social, unhappy, unfufilled, hedonist, anti-family people haters who are united in seeking to repress and outlaw all religion. Hippocritically, Catholism works to repress atheism, discriminate against its adherents and force Catholic “morality” on everyone, whether they agree with it or not.

Since this Church believes it has the right to publically criticise other religions and the non-religious position, it should exclude the exercise of this freedom of speech from its concept of “disrespect”. The right to criticize ideas with which one does not agree is part of the definition of basic human rights and of many forms of democracy. The right to criticize ideas which do not make objective sense is the bench-mark of good scientific method. There is a huge difference between failing to criticize religious ideas and respecting and tolerating people who believe ridiculous things, provided they do not act on these beliefs in a way which harms others. The Catholic Church has failed on the exceptional circumstance: its beliefs clearly lead to harming others, either directly or by failing to act to prevent harm coming to others. It does not deserve respect. It does not even deserve tolerance in this instance. Any harmful belief, no matter how sacred, should be soundly condemned and the actions which is spawns firmly repressed. Religious tolerance which permits murder, torture and serious psychological harm is deeply immoral.
I wrote:

Another hilarious day in the alternate universe of Catholicism.

Watch closely:
I am an atheist. That means I don't believe in any gods, not just yours. You are an atheist when it comes to Islam's god and thousands of other gods.

Just because I don't believe in your god, it doesn't mean I want to wipe you from the face of the earth. That you thought that says more about your mindset than mine.

Show me the evidence for your god and I will believe in it. Produce your proof.

You are under attack because your church helped men have sex with children. I don't need to look at your bible to know that this is wrong (your bible doesn't say that this is wrong - I would have thought an all loving god would have included that sort of thing in the 10 commandments). An apology to the people your organisation has hurt would be a great place to start.

Stop having a huge tantrum and blaming me. I didn't hold those innocent children down so your priests could rape them. I'm not into that sort of thing. I'm firmly against it.

Clean up your own game before you try telling everyone else that condoms and gay people are evil or what ever.

Stop trying to force everyone else to play by your rules. I have not joined your church. If I thought you represented god on earth I would have signed up. How would you like being bullied by, say, Muslims, and made to comply with all of their obtuse rules? Say if they started telling you not to drink wine in holy communion because it's all extra evil and stuff.

I didn't really think it out or respond to their article. They wont read it anyway.
Unsurprising... The catholic church is nothing if not the most hypocritical organisation on the planet.
"To say it is OK if I attack your religion, because I don’t think it matters, is a clear sign of bigoted subjectivity that even some Nazis would be jealous of. This is a clear attack not on God, rather the people that believe in God."

No, your religion matters. and when it comes to any religion that causes harm, the people behind it should be held accountable.

"He does not like Christianity, however it appears he is aligned with some UFO religions."

hmmm....I suppose we're all 'secretly' worshipping UFOs now! lol.
http://www.notopope.com/page.php?7

This is a list of the members of the "No to Pope coalition"

To try and make a link between atheists and Raliens because of this is a very tenuous connection.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service