Both my wife and I are both ethical Vegans, We both find in disturbing how few people within the atheist community don't see the dietary indoctrination that surrounds us in the same way that they do Religious dogma. In some ways the two are often very related.....

Discussion please:

cheers

Vegan Ape

Tags: animal, australia, ethics, nsw, vegan, vegetarian

Views: 859

Replies to This Discussion

Doctors never practice good science on them selves' lots of them smoke and are  over weight. But they still recommend weight control and non-smoking.....

I suppose a lot of people must die from being overweight, because a lot of money goes into educating people on how not to get overweight.

being overweight is a risk factor, but not an exclusive factor. However It does statistically put one in some very risky categories. None of that is based on advertising just research. No two ways about it but, smoking , drinking and a poor diet are not favouring anyones success at longevity (if longevity is your thing of course).

yes you might be a live fast die young sort of person...... :)

I saw this show the other day about thin fat people.

In India most people are slim - but on measuring their body fat ratio they were actually obese - they said due to their diet - and apparently the heart disease ratio also confirms these findings - with higher heart disease and also diabetes and other obesity related diseases.

That is actually  very interesting I will look into that, You don't have a youtube link by any chance. 

Alice, you are trying to tell others that a vegan diet is unhealthy.  You are going WAY out of your way to do so.   "as a consumer of non vegan foods"  you use too many euphemisms for killing other animals.  The fact that you admittedly did not know what you were doing, when you were vegan, is no reason for you to advise others to kill animals.  If you were comfortable with your present behavior, you would not be here trying to talk us into killing animals. 

I don't think that I have said that a vegan diet is unhealthy.  I do feel concerned about people choose a vegan diet, because it didn't work for me.

I was very squeamish about killing anything when I was a child and also as a vegan adult.  I even used to feel great anxiety about eating vegetables, because I knew they were alive.  

Because it is essential for humans to eat living things - or kill living things to eat for us to live, I realise that I had a mental health problem, when I felt great anxiety at killing things to eat - including vegetables.

Once I was able to overcome my fear of killing and eating other living beings for food - I now have no trouble ethically killing and eating anything - from carrots to cows to crickets, frogs, horses - I suppose I would draw the line at eating other humans in day to day life - the same way as you draw the line with animals and animal milk - but you are fine to kill and eat living vegetables.

I clearly didn't know what I was doing when I was vegan - because I had such bad health consequences - whereas according to veganape on here, it is a fine science and can be totally healthful when you do know what you are doing.  If more than 0.3% of the population were doing well on it - say if it were more in the 40% mark I probably would have been much better supported by education, general knowledge, government advertising on how to stay healthy on a vegan diet and eating out food places to go and eat etc....  

I haven't advised anyone to kill animals.  I've said that avoiding killing animals didn't work for me.  So I have changed what I do and now feel much better on a diet that involves the killing of fish, cows, sheep, pigs, kangaroo, chickens etc.

After spending 91% of my life vegan and vegetarian - I feel an affinity with vegans.... I'm interested to discuss these issues with vegans and discover more about where I am at and what others think about these matters.

Discussing things of great importance is how we learn as humans. 

http://chetday.com/vegandietdangers.htm

Interesting article on the dangers of a vegan diet - especially for expectant mothers.... :)

I have only started reading it and i have already found countless flaws in it, as its outdated by nine years and its based on other people e-mailing her so it is second hand anecdotal information. How does she know what they are saying is accurate or even true and how big is her case study. That is just to start I mean seriously where is the science in this. I will keep reading the rest later. 

Sure - it's pretty hard finding anything scientific online regarding veganism....

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service