courier-mail

BIBLE classes should be compulsory so children have a fundamental understanding of Christianity on leaving school, federal Opposition Leader Tony Abbott says.

Tags: Tony Abbott, bible study, schools

Views: 35

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't had breakfast either. Great way to start the weekend, I don't think.
It seems these days you're damned either way.
Actually I might agree with this concept if it is taught from the perspective of a non-believer and the classes point out all the massive gaps in logic. Such as light being created before the Sun
Submitted this comment to the C-M

You mean this bible???!

Some small boys came out of the city and jeered at [the prophet Elisha], saying, "Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!" And ... he cursed them in the name of the Lord. And two she-bears came out of the woods and tore forty-two of the boys.
-- II Kings 2:23-24 (RSV)

There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.
-- Ezekiel 23:20 (NIV)

This stuff is NOT suitable for children
"Oh, but those are allegories!"
I have no problems with this provided that they teach it comparatively and they teach critical thinking / logic beforehand. That being the case, who in their right mind would take the works literally? :)
I hope for comparative religion in schools too but this wont be what Abbott wants, as indicated thus:

"That includes, most importantly, the Bible.

"I think it would be impossible to have a good general education without at least some serious familiarity with the Bible and with the teachings of Christianity.

"That doesn't mean that people have to be believers."

(I'm sure you saw this already, Paul. Just wanted to add it in, to reiterate your point and just in case someone's only reading the thread instead of the article.)
My opinion exactly, Luke. I wrote a blog on it this morning in fact. Do have a look if you like.
Looks good. I assumed rightly that we were on the same page on this one. :)
Speaking of Gideons, when I was at the laundromat yesterday I noticed a couple of copies of Awake! laying on the counter. Unfortunately I was without my FSM stickers to do a bit of ol' fashion culture jamming. :)

I had a flick. It's amazing how many times the phrase "fear God" was mentioned. Tits.
Here is the "Mad Monk", not even in Government yet and probably will never be, wanting to force Christianity on all school students and worse, have them taught the lies of the worst book of fiction ever written. Well he can't even lie straght in bed. You can tell when a politician is lying when his lips are moving.

I suppose the best part of being in oppposition is that one can come up with crazy policies knowing that they can't be implemented.
And I propose that Koran classes should be compulsory so children have a fundamental understanding of Islam on leaving school. How would you like that, Mr Abbott?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service