Please post your favorite quotes on art here. If you don't have any to post right now, please select 'follow' if you would like to stay informed when others post.

Tags: Art, artists, painting, photography, quotes, sculpture

Views: 424

Replies to This Discussion

I think this is one of the best art quotes ever.

There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, thanks to their art and intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.

–Pablo Picasso
"I've never believed in God, but I believe in Picasso." -Diego Rivera

"I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious." -Andrew Wyeth

"I choose a block of marble and chop off whatever I don't need." -Auguste Rodin

"The holy grail is to spend less time making the picture than it takes people to look at it." -Bansky

"A man paints with his brains and not with his hands." -Michelangelo

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." -Pablo Picasso

"A sculptor is a person who is interested in the shape of things, a poet in words, a musician by sounds." -Henry Moore

"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for." -Georgia O'Keeffe

"All that I desire to point out is the general principle that life imitates art far more than art imitates life." -Oscar Wilde

"The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance." -Aristotle

"An artist never really finishes his work, he merely abandons it." -Paul Valery
I really like these two:

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." -Pablo Picasso

"An artist never really finishes his work, he merely abandons it." -Paul Valery
I have only 3 of the quotes I posted in my quote collection, and your choices are two of the three.
Also my favorite.
I saw a documentary about genetics once, where a scientist compared the DNA double helix to artwork. My opinion has always been that art was the product of a conscious mind, and -being an atheist- I came up with a new meaning for this acronym:

DNA is Nor Art

(Just like GNU is Not Unix, another famous self-referential acronym)
"Talent borrows, genius steals." -- Igor Stravinsky
That's great.
Similar quotes (warning: all translations are mine)

"If talent helps the genius not to fall, genius helps the talent not to crawl." -- Rivarol

"Talent without genius is little. Genius without talent is nothing." -- Valery

"Genius is a gift from God, but talent is entirely our own affair." -- Flaubert

"The talented do what they want. The geniuses do what they can." -- Ingres
Great quote, Jacqueline.
Courbet is known as a great painter, but he also was a great person with a great conscience.
Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service