To paraphrase Rocky and Bullwinkle, whatsa(dark)matta'u. I need help in getting a handle on this dark matter/energy thing. Just a very interested lay person here, so be gentle. It's my first time.

Views: 237

Replies to This Discussion

It's gravitational lensing that help scientists find the MACHOs.  Just the simple concept of space/time warping due to an object floating by and making light change its path to get to its destination is fascinating to me!  I know, so silly, right?  lol

No, it's not silly. I also find it endlessly fascinating. Just the concepts alone make me crawl under the bed and whimper (lol)! Can't stop reading up on them, though. Or watching lectures on utube. Which, one I recently saw, (totally off subject) was one by Brian Cox on an idea espoused by Feynman, that all electrons are actually the same electron (wha...?) and what we see is just the same electron, but in a different energy level manifestation (double, no triple wha.....?) and by applying energy to any electron will cause all electrons everywhere at once to manifest a change from a lower state to a higher state, or the opposite. And when he says all, he means every electron in the entire universe at once, and possibly the multiverse (Okay, now monkeys are flying out my butt, and probably yours also. Don't mean to be rude, but wha......!!!). All joking aside NC, it is ideas like this that keep me coming back, whether I call bs, or not. So now, who's the silly one. lol. Thanks for the stimulating conversation. Be well.

Just...wow...

I'm gonna have to let that sink in.  String theory is so WEIRD!!  I haven't watched any Brian Cox yet really, but the clips I've seen are fascinating!  I'll have to look into him some more.  Thanks for the monkeys! lol

NC, Jessica sent me a link awhile back, and I've been trying to view them as I can, but life seems to be conspiring against me lately. Haven't had chance to watch as much as I want. It is for courses at Yale online. Not accredited, of course, but alot of science lectures from the professors. At oyc.yale.edu. Some great stuff. Thanks again, Jessica. You rock. As do you, NC. Peace.

My eye will be on the person who comes up with the craziest hypothesis.  It's pretty well known that the crazy theories have just as much chance to be correct as the not-crazy ones.

Actually, Vera Rubin was called crazy when she introduced the concept of dark matter in a paper she published.  People started trying to prove her wrong and ended up proving her right.  There is a lot more out there than we see.  

The solar wind model posed by Eugene Parker was ridiculed for years before they were able to send a probe up that ended up proving him right.  Scientists before him concocted the hypothesis, but it didn't go very far as they didn't have the means to test it at the time.  Parker posed his model and stuck to his guns.  People told him not to feel bad that his hypothesis was wrong and that lots of ideas fall flat on their faces.  He responded with "We'll see what falls flat on its face!"  If you want to hear him tell the story himself, watch the Sun episode of the BBC series The Planets.  He tells it in such an awesome way.  You can feel how satisfied he feels that he kept belief in his hypothesis.  That's one of my favorite "vindication" stories.

Got totally off the subject.  Sorry!  lol

The craziest theories do often wind up to be the reality. When dealing with an unknown phenomenon the “known” science is not necessarily the best starting point – and may be the worst. The 11 dimensions (10 plus time) of space/.time posited in string theory gives me brain cramps – I've got 4 of them down pat the other 7 not so much, if at all.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Ted Foureagles replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
6 minutes ago
Luara replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
15 minutes ago
The Devian replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Why Does Prince George Have Brown Eyes? in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
26 minutes ago
Ted Foureagles replied to Kalista Whitney's discussion Was there a particular event in your life that contributed to you becoming atheist?
28 minutes ago
The Devian replied to Brian Edward Croner's discussion Intelligent But Makes an Exception for Religion in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
32 minutes ago
A. D'Agio posted a photo
40 minutes ago
anneshathaways posted blog posts
2 hours ago
satyam dangi replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
3 hours ago
satyam dangi replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
4 hours ago
Pandarius replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
5 hours ago
Pandarius replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
5 hours ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
5 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service