A small town in Texas stricken with drought has begun construction on a plant that will recycle urine into drinkable water again. Hopefully any malfunctions in the recycling process will be detected in time.

Per the article:

"We're taking treated effluent (wastewater), normally discharged into a creek, and blending it with (traditionally supplied potable) water," district manager John Grant told Discovery News. "In essence, the system speeds up what would naturally occur with the flow of discharged water through wetlands, with more pristine results", Grant added.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/urine-sewage-water-supply-recycling...

Tags: Jubinsky, Recycling, Urine, Waste, Water

Views: 44

Replies to This Discussion

I'm pretty sure they already do this in California, and probably other places. As long as they can get all the human cells and gross molecules out of the water, I don't have a problem with it.
I've often wondered why some scientists prefer recycling urine instead of desalinization of sea water.
I believe it's because of the cost of transporting sea water inland.

Effluents are easier to clean than chemicals such as pesticides, insecticides, and herbicides. Medicinal chemicals are becoming a bigger problem too.

We need more wetlands.

Climate change is reducing water availability.

Water is more expensive than gasoline.

Seawater is becoming polluted too. 

Yeah, the technology is purify urine is old and pretty well tested.  Essentially it is the same technology used to create injectable water in pharma plants and purified water in all kinds of manufacturing plants.  The high level of salts in sea water makes it really hard on filters and such, whereas already diluted human urine is pretty light weight.

We better get used to it, because millions of people, if not billions will become reliant on this tech in the near future.  Nevada is moving to it soon, and would already be there if not for public outcry.  Atlanta is on the way too.  When we have to burn oil to power water treatment plants to have enough water because we've damaged the environment burning oil, you know you are in trouble.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service