A recently declassified document tells us that two nuclear weapons, "each packing 260 times the explosive power of the weapon that decimated Hiroshima", fell to ground in Goldsboro, N.C. after a plane accident.

Each had four fail-safe circuits. In one they all worked. In the second, three of the four failed.

One of two hydrogen bombs that a doomed B-52 accidentally dropped on North Carolina in 1961 came perilously close to exploding, according to a recently declassified report.

Had the warhead exploded, radioactive fallout could have spread over the Eastern Seaboard, hitting Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York.

All four safety mechanisms designed to prevent accidental detonation worked properly on one bomb, which landed in a meadow, but three failed on the other, and only a low-voltage switch kept it from exploding upon impact in a field in Faro, N.C., said the 1969 report.

The accident happened just three days after President John F Kennedy was inaugurated in January 1961.

Report: Nuke that fell on N.C. in 1961 almost exploded

I keep imagining the designers of the Mark 39 hydrogen bomb, discussing how many fail safe mechanisms were necessary. I'd be willing to bet some bureaucrat or engineer, worried about cost over-runs, argued that four was excessive.

Were you far enough away in '61 to avoid the blast and radiation? I lived in the fallout range.

Tags: 1961, nuclear accident

Views: 48

Replies to This Discussion

Watch Oliver Stone's Untold History on Showtime; we came much closer to nuclear war than anyone realized during the Cuban crisis.

Yes, we did. If we had a "hawk" president then it most likely would have happened.

That's a chilling thought, but I agree. We came very close.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service