A fatwa is a ruling issued by Islamic scholars, and a recent ruling says participating in one-way trips to Mars is as bad as committing suicide.

According to the Khaleej Times, the fatwa committee of the General Authority of Islamic Affairs and Endowment in the United Arab Emirates issued the fatwa after determining that "such a one-way journey poses a real risk to life, and that can never be justified in Islam." They continued, "There is a possibility that an individual who travels to planet Mars may not be able to remain alive there, and is more vulnerable to death."

The committee says participating in the "hazardous trip" to Mars, will likely result in death for no "righteous reason." This means that the unfortunate Mars adventurer will face a "punishment similar to that of suicide in the Hereafter."

You may be wondering why anyone would want to take a one-way trip to Mars, and honestly I wonder that myself. However, Dutch company Mars One plans to do just that, and they received over 200,000 applicants vying to take the trip. In December of 2013 the group was paired down to 1058 candidates. If there are any Muslim candidates they may now want to reconsider.

Read the rest here.

=================================

So ... no muslims on Mars, eh?  Rather reminds me of that joke about President Obama and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.  Seems Mahmoud was a big fan of the TV series Star Trek.  "They have the most amazing adventures," he said, "and the crew is so diverse.  A Japanese helmsman, Russian navigator, Bantu communications officer, even an alien first officer.  Still, the one thing I noticed was that there were no Arabic crewmen on board.  Why do you suppose that was, Mr. President?"

And President Obama nodded knowingly as he replied, "Because, Mahmoud ... Star Trek happens in the future..."

[rimshot!]

Tags: Mars, fatwa, islam, muslim

Views: 46

Replies to This Discussion

"Star Trek happens in the future..."

I'm sitting here, by myself, and still laughing out loud! 

I'm reminded of a joke by the ersatz comedian Dennis Miller (who I personally loathe). However, he did say the last thing the Islamic culture gave the world was the concept of zero. Been that way ever since.

They may not be the only ones who came up with the idea of quantifying nothing.  If I recall correctly, Jaime Escalante of the movie Stand and Deliver told his class the following:

Did you know that neither the Greeks nor the Romans were capable of using the concept of zero? It was your ancestors, the Mayans, who first contemplated the zero. The absence of value. True story. You burros have math in your blood...

Sadly, those who don't learn, who REFUSE to learn, may have a past ... but precious little future.

LOL, thanks for that parting shot.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service