http://www.isec.org/ is a website about a Space Elevator. I haven't followed their progress in a year or so, so maybe some else already asked this question, but here goes: If we use carbon nano tubes as the tether to hold the space resort that will be the destination of the elevator in orbit, couldn't we use the space resort to convert sunlight into electricity and if we have enough solar panels up there, it could provide the excess electricity to us here on Earth using the carbon nano tube to deliver it down here, couldn't it?

Views: 24

Replies to This Discussion

I would think so, except I cannot remember the conductance properties of carbon nanotubes off the top of me head. I think it depends on what other atoms are incorporated, which also affects the weight and strength. A properly conductive carbon nanotube might not be optimal for strength - I just don't remember. But I believe solar panels at the top of the beanstalk have always been part of the draw of the idea. (Showing my age there a little bit - the Space Elevator was often nicknamed the Beanstalk back in the 30's and 40's when it was  still a relatively new idea that was just waiting for the invention of new materials to make it practical...)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Sentient Biped replied to Patricia's discussion Remember Being Told Not To Play With Your Food????? in the group Food!
2 minutes ago
Steve replied to Deidre32's discussion Happy Labor Day!
5 minutes ago
Deidre32 replied to Deidre32's discussion Happy Labor Day!
24 minutes ago
k.h. ky replied to Adam's discussion Political Ideology
29 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Deidre32's discussion Happy Labor Day!
29 minutes ago
MattyLJ replied to Deidre32's discussion Happy Labor Day!
33 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Adam's discussion Political Ideology
37 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Deidre32's discussion Happy Labor Day!
43 minutes ago
MattyLJ posted a discussion
43 minutes ago
48 minutes ago
49 minutes ago
53 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service