What do you make of these types of surveys?

Very Religious Americans Lead Healthier Lives Gallup, (Dec. 23, 2010)

The numbers show that there's a trend between religion, and healthy behaviors. There also seems to be trend between non-believing and depression (look at the previous part 2, of the same article).

I know of one religious talk show host, Dennis Prager, who uses this as an argument for why people should be religious. In other words, if it feels good to believe something completely fabricated, then go ahead and believe it.

Still, why doesn't being a more rational person have as much physical and mental benefits, as being a believer? Is it because believers are good little moma's boys and girls, that do what they are told, believe what they are told, and thus inherit healthy habbits just by default? Maybe those of us who question tradition tend to be rebels, who don't always follow the rules?

Views: 46

Replies to This Discussion

How do you quantify healthy? I don't put a lot of stock in these kinds of assertions.

There also seems to be trend between non-believing and depression (look at the previous part 2, of the same article).

It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied. And if the fool, or the pig, are a different opinion, it is because they only know their own side of the question. The other party to the comparison knows both sides. - John Stuart Mill

I know of one religious talk show host, Dennis Prager, who uses this as an argument for why people should be religious. In other words, if it feels good to believe something completely fabricated, then go ahead and believe it.

That's a deeply immoral attitude, in my opinion. Because it feels good is not reason enough to enslave people to superstition and backwards thinking.

Well, there could be a correlation between delusion and reduced stress.  Believing that a magical sky daddy has got your back might reduce your worry.

Using this as an argument to becoming religious is silly. Even if religious people are healthier, it doesn't mean a person can become religious just like that. It's kind of like how people with self-confidence achieve more. That's great--now how do I become self-confident?

Aren't there also statistics that show higher intelligence in non-religious people? That alone could explain the difference in depression.

I still don't think the religious people who tell everyone they're going to hell are very happy, and I especially don't think the antisexual religious people who get caught in gay sex scandals are too healthy.

This poll lacks lots of things like an statistical test. I'm not sure if those values are significantly different.

And it bothers me that they jointed in the same category the non practitioner theists, with the agnostics, the indifferent and the atheists.

Or it may be that they experience too much cognitive dissonance to admit that they are unhappy. After all, God is looking out for them. It would be wrong for them to feel unhappy. Basking in the light of the lard is bound to make one happy.
Religion gave my "friends" the cognitive dissonance to believe that we loved each other when actually we kindasorta couldn't stand each other. It could certainly make someone think that they were happy. And, just like people who keep quiet their doubts, they want to keep quiet their unhappiness, because religion usually tells people they're not true believers, not praying enough, etc.

Sí, lo soy.

More than half of the people in my country are non practitioners believers. They actually call themselves like that. That may explain why everybody is so depressed (or is it because the inflation?). Just kidding. ;P

I can't look at research about climate change and say it's ok cos god promised never to flood the world again. I can't look at the political climate and think it's ok cos my leader will win in the end - soon. I worry about the human condition and our future and I worry about the unavoidable uncertainty of my own future.

Nor can you commmit any kind of sin you want and then ask god for forgiveness to make it all okay (so you can go out and commit the sin again later on).

That is true. Being truely free is stressful. Being responsible of our own lives.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service