My dad is a chiropractor who graduated from Parker College. He has gone to multiple meetings where he learns different techniques for how to treat patients. We recently talked about some of the things that he had learned and he brought up the topic of homeopathy. Every where I looked homeopathy is viewed as a pseudoscience. I have no degree in any medical field but my skeptic attitude is putting me in a bind. On the one hand I know that my dad takes this issue seriously ( though he admits that he doesn't know if this could be a placebo effect or not) So I want to see this field as having some value outside of the placebo effect. On the other hand I can't just accept something purely on emotional grounds since I have to have legitimate peer reviewed evidence to back up a claim.Is there any legitimacy to homeopathy? Does anybody know if there is any legitimacy to this field at all? 

Views: 324

Replies to This Discussion

Someone once calculated that every person on Earth could take a dose of a homeopathic medicine once per hour for a thousand years before anyone had a statistically significant chance of getting one molecule of the active ingredient. (Actually, it's been a while - it might have been one hundred thousand years...)

In fact, homeopathic medicine is at its most believeable of you accept it as a magickal endeavour - the procedures are recognizable as spell rituals, and thus actually become less believable when technological methods are applied.

Homeopathy has no sensible claim to legitimacy.

Here is a YouTube video with Richard Dawkins speaking on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KbLHii8M2A

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service