A gene variation (rs4143094) that exists in one third of the population has been found to significantly increase the risk of developing colorectal cancer for those carrying it who eat processed meat. Eating processed meat under any circumstances increases the risk of developing colorectal cancer but especially for people who carry the variation. Per the article:

A common genetic variant that affects one in three people appears to significantly increase the risk of colorectal cancer from the consumption of processed meat, according to a study  published today in PLOS Genetics....Dr Jane Figueiredo at the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California, explained that eating processed meat is associated with an increased risk of colorectal cancer and for about a third of the general population who carry this genetic variant, the risk of eating processed meat is even higher compared to those who do not [carry the variant].

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140417191612.htm

Tags: Cancer, Colorectal Cancer, Genes, Genetics, Jubinsky, Processed Meat

Views: 32

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for this John.

I have a variant: Rs4143815 which is also linked to gastric adenocarcinoma. I had my DNA screened at promethease. 

I would like to have my DNA tested for disease. I looked into it once and, at that time, the state in which I live (Maryland) prohibited it. (My understanding is that some states prohibit it because they don't feel the process is regulated enough.) If it is still prohibited in Maryland I guess I will have to see if I can have it done by using a P.O. box in another state.

Welcome to the site Syvatoslav! The FDA doesn't know everything about everything. Processed meat is supposed to be any meat that is processed beyond being cut or ground.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/what-is-processed-meat-exa...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service