From a comment on Ray Comfort's blog, Atheist Central:

Atheists believe the LIE of abiogenesis and the LIE of evolution, and LIE by claiming their belief system doesn't require ANY faith whatsoever.

Dishonesty is in our genome. I wonder, do chimps lie too?

Romans 1
Since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them...
- carl

I'm not sure whether the creationist posed this question in jest or in seriousness, but nonetheless it intrigued me! I did a google search for chimp behavior and found this site. Although it documented a variety of chimpanzee behaviors I couldn't find anything that resembled telling a lie or cheating. I thought of looking up bonobos but couldn't find anything.

Anyone wanna help me out? =]

Tags: behavior, chimp, chimpanzee

Views: 19

Replies to This Discussion

This post is pretty typical of carl, though they all have a tendency to bust out in all caps from time to time. It's crazy - most of these people are twice my age and yet they act like teenagers online. O_o"

Anyway, that's really interesting! Those chimps may not be using words but they're definately lying.
Well, any chimpanzee telling that its species is the ancestor of humans would be definitively lying ;-).

On Carl Sagan's book "The dragons of Eden" (1977) you can find the following tale:

"...On Tenerife, also, two chimpanzees were observed maltreating a chicken: One would extend some food to the fowl, encouraging it to approach; whereupon the other would thrust at it with a piece of wire it had concealed behind its back. The chicken would retreat but soon allow itself to approach once again-and be beaten once again. Here is a fine combination of behavior sometimes thought to be uniquely human: cooperation, planning a future course of action, deception and cruelty. It also reveals that chickens have a very low capacity for avoidance learning..."

Is deception some sort of "lying"? Well, in this case I would say "yes" as one of the chimps is
somewhat "telling" the chicken "if you come in here I will give you some food", and then when the poor chicken approaches, the chimp doesn't fulfill its promise.
That's pretty incredable. The poor chicken!

I agree that it is lying. I wonder if the chimp used friendly facial expressions while coaxing the chicken as a human might. If it did, then that is definately lying.
"chimpanzees or orangutans in captivity sometimes tried to lure human strangers over to their enclosure by holding out a piece of straw while putting on their friendliest face... before you know it, the ape has grabbed their ankle and is closing in for the bite. It’s a very dangerous situation.”

I think I've heard this before, but somehow I managed to forget it.

I heard that lions in captivity may do something similar. The following comes from The Human Zoo by Desmond Morris.

"One particular male lion perfected his audience manipulation in a remarkable way. His usual method of urination (as with tom-cats) was to squirt a jet of urine horizontally backwards at a vertical landmark, depositing his personal scent upon it. When he did this against one of the vertical bars of his cage-front he found that the spray reached his visitors and created an interesting reaction. They leapt back, shouting. As time passed, he not only improved his aim, but added a new trick. After the first spraying, when the front of his audience had retreated, the second row quickly took its place to get a better look. Instead of loosing his jet in one stream, he saved some of it for a second spraying and in this way managed to excite the new front row as well."
I've seen part of a documentary not that long ago (on French TV) that established without a doubt that chimps, gorillas and crows are all capable of deceit. Notably, I remember a female gorilla who was tricked into breaking a piece of furniture, and who tried to put the blame on another gorilla when "investigated" by her caretakers.
How do crows lie?
Crow A hides some food in a cache on the ground. When he's finished, he notices Crow B is spying on him through a hole in a wall, and determines (correctly) that Crow B watched his moves and will try to steal the food once himself leaves.

Crow A flies away a short distance and hides in a nearby tree. Crow B leaves his observation post and approaches the cache using the wall as cover, at the loss of a direct line of sight to his goal while he's behind the wall.

Once Crow B is out of sight, Crow A quickly flies back to the cache, retrieves the food and hides it elsewhere. Crow B finishes his move around the wall, runs to the cache and realizes it's empty (that part was hilarious - he looked very pissed off!).
That's not lying... that's PLOTTING. <3
Well, I didn't write "crows lie" to start with - only that they're capable of deceit ;-)
http://pages.prodigy.net/ashajohn/ch6sub10.html
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-01/plos-wdc012808.php

Is cheating equivalent to lying in a population that doesn't really talk? They do cheat each other when they have to, so I'd answer that yes chimps lie.
I watched one of the many science channel shows on primate behavior and there was one the chimps would lie for a reward. Of course I can't remember the actual show but they were in a zoo, and they were given a form of money to use on treats. They would often get the treat and then not pay for it. In another zoo a orangutan keep getting out at night and they couldn't figure out how, after sedation for an exam they found a piece of copper wire hidden in its mouth. The ape was using the wire to pick the simple lock at night.
On the topic, sort of, capuchins'll pay for sex: http://www.diggersrealm.com/mt/archives/001105.html

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Larry Taylor liked Christine's discussion Praise Be Unto He........
4 minutes ago
Larry Taylor liked Christine's discussion Praise Be Unto He........
4 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked Luara's discussion Nonbeliever's equivalent of wearing a cross
6 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Atheist in FundyLand's discussion Discouraged: just got back from chorus practice
8 minutes ago
Larry Taylor replied to Luara's discussion Nonbeliever's equivalent of wearing a cross
10 minutes ago
Sentient Biped added a discussion to the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
12 minutes ago
Steve posted a status
"Thanks guys! I haven't had much time to get on here yet but I like what I see :)"
12 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Atheist in FundyLand's discussion Discouraged: just got back from chorus practice
20 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
22 minutes ago
Sentient Biped commented on Claire Donnelly's group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
46 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Luara's discussion Nonbeliever's equivalent of wearing a cross
46 minutes ago
Neanderthal Man posted a video

Joy Division - In a lonely place from Napoleon Bonaparte on Vimeo.

Music by Joy Division.
Video artwork and editing by Napoleon Bonaparte.
Smart Dog Videos London (UK)

Joy Division - In a lonely place

Music by Joy Division. Video artwork and editing by Napoleon Bonaparte. Smart Dog Videos London (UK)
47 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service