His life and contributions will be celebrated this November 7th at an all-day event at Florida's Broward College. The program includes teacher workshops, children’s activities, showings of the Cosmos series episodes, food, magic shows, science displays, planetarium programs, telescope workshops, games, door prizes, star-gazing, and (according to their press release) many surprises. Among the scheduled speakers are Phil Plait (creator of the "Bad Astronomy" blog), "the Amazing" James Randi (magician, skeptic and debunker of fake psychics) and David Morrison (senior scientist at the NASA Astrobiology Institute, NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA).
The event is co-sponsored by the Carl Sagan Day Planning Committee, Broward College, Center for Inquiry, Florida Atheists and Secular Humanists, and the James Randi Educational Foundation. All activities are free and open to the public. More information and the schedule of events can be found here.

Views: 3

Replies to This Discussion

I hope this goes National! No, bigger than that...worldwide! What an idea!!
Well, why not? Darwin Day started out small but in this, his 200th birth year, it's huge! There were worldwide celebrations and events, documentaries, films and, my personal favorite, phylum feasts!

Sagan day may never be as big but who knows? Maybe someday millions and millions of people will celebrate it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Tom Sarbeck replied to Daniel W (Sentient Biped)'s discussion Upscale Sodomites Spread Ebola @ Starbucks!
16 minutes ago
Amanda Ashcraft posted a status
"Finally finished my move! And I managed to scrounge out two blog postings this month. Miraculous! My newest is here: http://j.mp/1vmSb3Y"
39 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Daniel W (Sentient Biped)'s discussion Upscale Sodomites Spread Ebola @ Starbucks!
45 minutes ago
Grinning Cat liked sk8eycat's discussion California Seems to Be Learning Something
49 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
52 minutes ago
Daniel W (Sentient Biped) replied to Daniel W (Sentient Biped)'s discussion Upscale Sodomites Spread Ebola @ Starbucks!
57 minutes ago
Daniel W (Sentient Biped) replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo commented on Joan Denoo's blog post Feminism
1 hour ago
Freethinker31 replied to Luara's discussion A naked rambler
1 hour ago
sk8eycat replied to sk8eycat's discussion California Seems to Be Learning Something in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Daniel W (Sentient Biped)'s discussion Upscale Sodomites Spread Ebola @ Starbucks!
1 hour ago
sk8eycat commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service