OK, Atheist Scots, maybe you can help solve an ongoing mystery - I saw these "things" at Heathrow and Edinburgh airports. I started looking at bird's-eye views on Multimap and found others at Liverpool and Glasgow. Does anyone know what they are?? I'm sure the answer is probably quite simple, but BAA, Virgin, United and British Airways have not replied to my queries, nor has anyone at the Scotsman. Any ideas?

Views: 40

Replies to This Discussion

They are used as fire training devices for the fire-brigade. They can be set alight and also smoke-filled so that fire men and women can learn how to deal with aviation disasters and navigate blacked out aircraft. I've never seen it alight but you can see the smoke damage to the one in Edinburgh quite clearly when you taxi alongside it.

Here is an article about one in Norwich: http://www.takeoffmagazine.co.uk/news.htm#news1

And another about these rigs: http://www.airport-int.com/categories/aircraft-fire-training-simula...
That's a relief. I was afraid they might be modern art.
Sean,
Brilliant! This has been nagging me for a year. We sat, queued for takeoff, on the tarmac at Heathrow, and I kept looking at the one next to the Virgin hangar, and couldn't make sense of it. Sure enough, I just looked at the Norwich airport in Multimap, and there it is. You're a credit ti Scots everywhere.

Méabh, I've seen worse pawned off as "art", eh?
think it's the last flight of Buddy Holly Airlines

It's the latest Ryanair budget option. No windows so they don't have to install toilets. You just have to....ah you know where I'm going.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Andrew Bradford Hoke commented on Andrew Bradford Hoke's video
11 minutes ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's photo
1 hour ago
Luara commented on Loren Miller's photo
1 hour ago
Grinning Cat commented on Claire Donnelly's group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
James M. Martin commented on Claire Donnelly's group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
1 hour ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
1 hour ago
Patricia commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
Michael Penn replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
1 hour ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's photo
1 hour ago
Morrigan Wolf joined Claire Donnelly's group
2 hours ago
Freethinker 31 replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service