This question was asked before by another member of Atheist Nexus who, unfortunately, left the site about 6 months ago. When he left, his discussions went with him. (I hate that about Ning.) That is too bad, really, because that topic received more responses than any other discussion thread on A|N that I have ever seen -- well over 400, I believe.

Well, I don't plan on leaving A|N anytime soon, so I'm going to ask that question all over again. We've had a lot of new members since the first time, so this will be a good chance for all the new faces, and some of the old, to vent once again about why they are single.

So, why are you single?

Tags: atheist singles, companionship, dating, lovers, partners, romance, single, singles

Views: 2231

Replies to This Discussion

Married and divorced. Don't meet a lot of singles my age at work and don't have any other avenues to meet singles. Women in dating sites either ignore me (guess my intro is not intriguing enough) or expect instant chemistry which leads them to give up after one meeting/telephone call. Kinda used to being alone by now.
...or expect instant chemistry...

I know exactly what you mean. What do people expect from these sites. Getting to know someone takes effort. You have to ask questions, and feel out the situation. Most people don't have that kind of patience. It's as if they expect to know instantly if you're right for them. My experience with dating sites has been abysmal.
I think that only works if you're good looking (not trying to imply anything about your Larry, one way or the other). That doesn't work for me. :(
I haven't found a guy worth giving up being single for. Single life is hassle free, I hope one day I'll meet a guy that's worth the hassle (& one that thinks I am worth the hassle).
I'm single because I wasn't born with my twin attached to me. I don't buy into the two-become-one mythology. Two become two-who-walk-together for a time. And for me, it's OK to involve more than just two for the walk.

Actually, I'm not what most of society considers single. I'm in an open relationship which I hope lasts a lifetime. So, I guess, technically, "dating" and "looking" might be better terms for me than "single" is.
I don't have a problem with that at all. But I also acknowledge that different people want and need different things.

I don't think that we ever become "one" with another person, not completely. But some companionship sure would be nice, IMO.
"shy, introverted, and autistic"

If you haven't stumbled on it yet (and are interested), there's a fairly new group here:

Asperger Atheists.
Jacqueline, I suspect the negative response to putting your IQ in the ad was because that can come across as bragging. Probably better to mention your intellectual pursuits as things you enjoy. That way, they are attractive to those who share them, but just look like unappealing hobbies to those who don't. Of course, I have no empirical research to back this up. :)
Well, you might not think of your intellectual pursuits as hobbies, but you could list them in that box in an ad. I still think that would warn off the undesirables and attract people who might appreciate your intellect. And hell, Bill Gates is a college dropout. Degrees are important, but life happens.
I believe that this denigrating, wrong-headed prejudice is based on a poor (and limited) understanding of what it takes to live the uncertain life of the committed artist and of what it takes, year after year after year, to produce effective, engaging art, whether it be a poem, a painting, a fugue, a fiber hanging, a theater piece, a glazed bowl, or a novel.

Good points. It could also stem from jealousy. Perceiving the artist to be free, the denigration could be a projection of their own frustration with the "straight" life.
I've wound up with several artists in and around my circle of peers. Yes, most do fit a particular persona-type of flaky and/or New Agey and/or hippie-ish. But not all. One such friend is about as NASCAR, pickup-trucks, redneck as it gets.

And many are academically talented. In fact I find some of the best artists are people looking for an outlet for that uber-IQ.

:-)
^^
'coz i'm just 16.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service