This question was asked before by another member of Atheist Nexus who, unfortunately, left the site about 6 months ago. When he left, his discussions went with him. (I hate that about Ning.) That is too bad, really, because that topic received more responses than any other discussion thread on A|N that I have ever seen -- well over 400, I believe.

Well, I don't plan on leaving A|N anytime soon, so I'm going to ask that question all over again. We've had a lot of new members since the first time, so this will be a good chance for all the new faces, and some of the old, to vent once again about why they are single.

So, why are you single?

Tags: atheist singles, companionship, dating, lovers, partners, romance, single, singles

Views: 2262

Replies to This Discussion

part of the reason why I am still single is I get turned off by desperation. some single men are so desperate. It turns me off when men say they are depressed because they have not talked to me in 12 hours when they just met me lol.

Ok, huge apologies for half of that last post being in bold. Internet connection fucked up towards the end and it managed to post before I could correct it while the internet connection didn't resolve until long after my 15 minutes of editing time were up.

Did I mention that we Aspies sometimes talk too loud or too soft?

Grrrrr.......
It's OK, shit happens. Though it did read as if you were shouting for the last half. lol.
I'm in my 50s and so have been married and divorced twice. My two "children" (30 and 27) have decided that I'm quite naive and simply don't know how to pick 'em.

My daughter, the psychology degree holder agrees that I have a sign pasted to my forehead that says, if you're dysfunctional hit on her, based on the men that ask me out and the ones I married (including her father ;-).

Both of my marriages were very brief because I did have the good sense to leave the men who physically abused me but not the good sense not to marry them. To be fair to myself I really had no idea that they would turn out to be like that.

I don't think I'm interested in getting married again (divorce is a pain and expensive) or even living with someone.

I enjoy my freedom and am used to it.

I've done the online dating thing up until two years ago when for some medical reason which I and my doctors are still trying to figure out, I gained a huge amount of weight suddenly.

So, I'm now waaaay too self conscious to do that but will get back to it when I figure this problem out.

Online dating was a whole lot of fun but one does have to take precautions, set firm guidelines and keep things in perspective.

I would like to have a committed companion in my life. A good friend.

A guy to just hang out with, have fun with, and enjoy each others company.

Great sex would be nice too ;-)

Am I asking for too much? Lol.
"I would like to have a committed companion in my life. A good friend.

A guy to just hang out with, have fun with, and enjoy each others company.

Great sex would be nice too ;-)

Am I asking for too much? Lol."

I sure hope not, since that's kind of what I'm keeping my fingers crossed for.
Great idea, by the way :-)
Mostly, Mississippi is a small place with few people and fewer nontheists than average. Combine that with my natural reclusiveness and inability to small talk.

I'm going to stop now before I get depressed.
- First, because my (very religious) family would be completely outraged if I engage in a non traditional relationship, i.e. with premarital sex, without marital purpose, or both. Besides, premarital sex is illegal here and illegible of 3 to 6 months prison at least. (That's less than the penalty for apostasy or homosexuality) Let me note here that the judgment of "illegal relationship" is a bit fuzzy, so even if I go out with a girl and we just talk and share some laughter, that may be counted socially as a relationship with "ill purposes"; if I drive a motorcycle with my hypothetical girlfriend at the back seat (or she does), a policeman has the right to arrest us and ask for a proof that were are legally engaged, otherwise I'd have to bribe him lest I get caught in the tangles of tribunals and such.

- Second, because Muslim women are not allowed to marry non Muslim men, and only religious marriage is possible here as far as I know. In fact, I only know two atheists of the opposite sex.

- Third, being bisexual, I feel uncomfortable thinking about the subject, when the medium that I currently live in doesn't give me the freedom to choose my partner following my own preferences.

- Fourth, over the years, I've developed an allergy to the Moroccan and Arab cultures. I'm not racist; I just don't like to be associated with it, and would very much prefer to date a person with no Moroccan, Arab, or Islamic background.

- Fifth, I'm relatively busy at the time with a lot of studies and projects (that's probably my weakest reason for being single as I would be glad to get help or support from a partner).
Herr, it is so hard to believe that cultures can be like that in the 21st C. Sorry you can't be more open and free. If you ever come to the US, let some of us here on A|N know.
Sure I will. But I still need 3 years to finish my studies, then postulate for an MA somewhere (most probably in France or Germany).
Most people get on my nerves and after all the previous relationship blunders I'm much pickier than I used to be. No one I've met so far seems right for me, except this amazing girl who has alot of the same interests as me and is an atheist. Only problem is that shes a lesbian so it goes without saying that she doesnt swing my way. Other than that I'm just waiting for the right atheist girl to come along. Unfortunately most atheist/agnostic girls I have met are lesbian, bi, or taken. Overall, there is just a lack of selection.

he he he. I've fallen for lots of gay guys, so you're not alone in this!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service