I am adding this discussion because I don't know what an atheist couple looks like.  I grew up in a religous family by a single mother, they divorced when I was six.  No one taught me how to be an atheist, I just finally figured out I was atheist when I started college.  I have inched my way along ever since finding how alone I really am.  Being ill advised on the nature of the world as in social boundaries and financial stability I have to figure it out as I go.  Now that I am 41 I find that I am still looking for my comfort in things like a relationship, good job, social comfort.  I have figured out a few things though, I don't want to be married, I am not looking for super wealth, I am independant politically, I want my job to be around social welfare not corporate luxury.  Living in America at this time I see a lot of problems for us who believe in separation of church and state and in civil rights and liberties.  Big money, Big religous bullies, and big military continues to wear down the integrity of "free human being".  I feel a lot of turmoil I am sad to say.  I like to be a person of inspiration and delight but I often feel depressed by the ora of an over populated world ignorant of compassion for others and the resources we have.  We bye water for $2 a bottle and think it is normal.  If we are going to be atheist in this world who look for a future or relationship that has structure and tenacity of time we must have a government that respects welfare of people, civil rights and protection of government separate of religion.  Our youth must be able to find jobs in a world that defends those rights.  We must be able to be informed of the academics without a political litmus test.  We must be able to take some comfort that our tax dollars will be used to protect our rights and serve our needs.  We should not have to constantly be affraid of dictated wars neglect of medical services.  The doors are shut in too many places where they should be open.  How do we convince the public that the water does not belong to one person to be sold?  How do we convince the public that justice with compassion is better than blind ignorance?  How do we sleep at night with a sense of excitement and energy for the next day if there is only benefits for the segregated few?  Do I want a relationship.. sure.. but can we afford it with painted targets on our backs?

Tags: relationships

Views: 124

Replies to This Discussion

Paragraphs, man.

How do we convince the public that the water does not belong to one person to be sold?

We don't buy water.  We just rent it for a while, then give it back.  We're paying for the purification and packaging.

How do we convince the public that justice with compassion is better than blind ignorance?

What does that have to do with relationships?

How do we sleep at night with a sense of excitement and energy for the next day if there is only benefits for the segregated few?

What does that have to do with either atheism or relationships?

Do I want a relationship.. sure.. but can we afford it with painted targets on our backs?

Don't wear that shirt, then.  We're atheists, not black people (except for those of us who are black) or some other obviously visible minority.

We can use all of the visible atheists we can get, but if you're not comfortable with it, you don't have to be.  What's the problem?

Water should be clean and free.  Relationships depend on a safe and fair society (government) to cope.  No person is invisible to whatever pattern of terror that exist.  Being open about your atheism or other status is fine yet you don't flaunt your ID in the face of abusers.  The dilemma still exist.  I understand you must be careful about how you present yourself in public yet the work is never done to create a better place for all people who want a safe and fair place to live.

It is unclear to me why you tie the possibility of having a satisfactory relationship to living in a fully just society. We do the best we can to cope with living in a world not of our making--a world having many features we might wish were different and having some features we might work to change--and part of that coping is having relationships within the social structure we have. One lives, laughs, and loves not because the world is perfect, but despite the world's imperfections.

You might want to change the world, but you don't have to forgo life's pleasures while doing so.

I appreciate your view and inspiration.  I would like to gain a broader perspective of what is possible and not lament on what isn't. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Bertold Brautigan replied to Freethinker31's discussion Is America still the land of Opportunity?
1 minute ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Leader of the Church of England doubts the existence of god in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
15 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to scott martins's discussion IS EVERYBODY 100% POSITIVE THERE IS NO GOD?
20 minutes ago
k.h. ky replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Leader of the Church of England doubts the existence of god in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
38 minutes ago
Dr. Allan H. Clark replied to scott martins's discussion IS EVERYBODY 100% POSITIVE THERE IS NO GOD?
50 minutes ago
John Jubinsky liked Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Leader of the Church of England doubts the existence of god
54 minutes ago
Neanderthal Man liked Napoleon Bonaparte's discussion Punk Rock Anarchiste Français (écoutez la musique)
54 minutes ago
John Jubinsky replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Leader of the Church of England doubts the existence of god in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
54 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion How to Have Your Fake and Beat it, Too: Atheists Refused Right to Give Invocation in the group Atheism & the Law
1 hour ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Eco-Logical: A Group for Environmentalists
1 hour ago
Freethinker31 replied to MattyLJ's discussion Are you clean and organized?
1 hour ago
Freethinker31 posted a discussion
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service