All of my past relationships were with religious people, and I know in the back of my mind it always bothered me.

Now Im wondering if there will ever be a chance that if I give up and date another religious guy, would there be a way that I could make it work?

"Love" can only be a good excuse for so long.

I was wondering if anyone else is wondering the same thing?

Do you care if your person of intrest is religious or Atheist?

and why?

Views: 293

Replies to This Discussion

For me, I judge people who say they're religious but clearly don't behave as if they are. For example, ALL the Christians I know don't believe in the "no sex before marriage" doctrine. This makes them hypocrites and/or thoughtless. I have no time in my life for people like that. End of story.
THAT dichotomy is one of the main reasons my atheism went from "personal" to "political" the number of religious people who disobey their own guidelines is huge and the hypocrisy eventually wore me down.
I was in grade school when I was taught the 7 Deadly Sins in Sunday School at the age of 7-years-old in preparation for receiving the Sacraments of Penance and Communion. One of the sins was gluttony and I'd sit in church as a very young kid and wonder why well over half of the people sitting in the pews were fat. WEREN'T THEY WORRIED ABOUT GOING TO HELL? And why did they stand in line for communion every week without going to confession first? The few times my parents took us to confession, I noted less than 20 people there for the hour-long confessional time the church allotted to the sacrament while during the church services (I think there were a total of about 8 Sunday "masses" per week), there were literally hundreds in the pews at each mass. They were very clear about us having to be "in a state of grace" before receiving communion and that meant that if you sinned, you had to be "absolved" by a priest during a face-to-face confession or else you could not go up and get a communion wafer. Yet hardly anyone went to confession while nearly everyone stood in line for communion. While I didn't know what sins people could be committing, I could clearly see the gluttons...and the hypocrisy. And I did not want to be around people like that. Still don't.
LOL
wow that brings back some childhood memories of my own, the nun who taught me from grade 1 to 3 was fat also!

I am a moderately oversized person, BUT, I am not bypassing my own belief system in being as I am!!!

I never understood confessionals, I didn't believe in sin as a child!
When my cousin's son went to confession for the first time at the age of 7, he told the priest, "Since I don't have anything to confess, could I confess some stuff my dad did instead?
Exellent!
Most excellent!
The world is full of unwitting heretics. Most believers don't even know the doctrines of their churches, let alone follow them. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" sounds to me a lot like "Four legs good, two legs bad."
Unfortunately for a religious person, devotion to God and the fear of hell has always been one of his/her life's major aspect that can probably out-weigh even with the dozens of compatibilities and common interests you've been sharing with him/her. Once your partner pose judgements on your atheism, instead of engaging in a healthy discussion/debate with you then consider your relationship done. Though I'm not saying that you should stop trying to save your relationship but when his/her bigotry and arrogance tends to be a great part of his/her personality then I don't see any reason why you should stay in that kind of "romantic dictatorship".
My relationship of five years just ended because the theist bitch couldn't take the fact that I was an atheist, despite the fact that I was willing to put up with her imaginary friends, which is no small thing for me.

The thing that gets me about it is that it would seem that it wouldn't of really mattered to her, since I was an atheist for a year and a half before she knew, and I never hid the fact, it just never came up for nearly two years, but as soon as she finds out she becomes really distant and eventually dumps me.
yep, ... that's the very reason I'm single....

Wether is atheism, or racism, or politics, or baptism, or children, or food preferences, or or or... I deal with all "taboo" issues upon first meeting people, so there are NO surprises, but that means no surprises... :(

This charming man I met thru work was inviting me to a party at his place, while clearly stating, for my ears specifically, "at my parties no politics or religion allowed".

To me that's insane, LIFE IS politics/religion... every purchase we make, every friend we include in our inner circle, every word that comes out of our mouthes IS in some way political. So to deny that topic in casual conversation is akin to befriending people with all senses turned off.

When people learn to DISCUSS topics upfront, there will be less heartache down the road.

I don't think there's any such thing as a religious person who's "not religious", they either are or they aren't.
I don't think there's any such thing as a religious person who's "not religious", they either are or they aren't.

I think some of that may be some of the usual non-denominational nonsense: "I don't have a religion; I study the Bible and have a personal relationship with God." A lot of those sorts are more fanatical than the church-going fundies, from what I've seen. Admittedly, I have a small sample group.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service