All of my past relationships were with religious people, and I know in the back of my mind it always bothered me.

Now Im wondering if there will ever be a chance that if I give up and date another religious guy, would there be a way that I could make it work?

"Love" can only be a good excuse for so long.

I was wondering if anyone else is wondering the same thing?

Do you care if your person of intrest is religious or Atheist?

and why?

Views: 280

Replies to This Discussion

Heck, if no one has replied in that time frame, I'd just copy and paste it into a new message and fix it there.

Whoops, too late now.  :-D

First of all, I wouldn't be having the discussion so late that the kids would already be of school-going age.  Seeing as how she and I have just started dating, I think I've got some time before I have to have that discussion.

I think your time-frame is still a little wonky.  You have this talk before you have children, not before your children are in school.  If you're having children at all, you have to clear all of the potential issues with the person you're planning on having children.  Unless you're planning on your children dying by the age of 5, you know the problem is coming.

I completely agree, and didn't mean to infer otherwise.
Cool.  That's fine, then.  Your wording was just a bit off of your intent, if that's the case.

I have found it hard dating Christians.  It's like they can't help themselves.  For example, when they make such statements as "God Bless Japan" or "Pray for Japan", it sounds sooo stupid to me.  I don't think I could stomach stupid statements like that after a while. In my mind I would be thinking "dumbass, why didn't your God stop the damn Tsunami in the first place".   And how long can a person hold those types of thoughts in. 

I don't think it works out unless the so called Christian doesn't really give a darn about their Christianity.

I would argue that a good protion of them really don't care about it, unless it serves them to act like they care.

In the African American community, they care and care alot.  It's so engrained in our culture, it's everywhere!  All though, they still want to engage in premarital sex, lol. 

Yeah, from my perspective, watching from the outside, black churches take it WAY more seriously.  Scott has that advantage with his Catholic chick.  There are some scary, intense Catholics ... but mostly, Catholic churches are full of people going through the motions on Sunday, and then they don't think about God for the rest of the week.

Joseph, it is so wack!!!!   In my neighborhood the is literally a church on almost every other corner in a 3 mile radius.  And I bet that is an under estimate.

And on facebook, there are daily Bible quotes from my friends and associates.  Just to get them thru their day.  Oh, and man the prayer chains I get via cell phone text messaging.  smh. 

It's maddening, lol.

Yeah, I think a lot more people "go through the motions" than actually are willing to admit it.  I sort of understand, looking back at history, why black churches would be so fervent about the Jesus stuff.  But wasn't religion the justification for oppressing and enslaving Africans during the colonial times?  It's certainly given justification in Leviticus.  You'd think people wouldn't cling to it after that.

You would think, Scott.  Christianity was introduced to Africans in this country thru slavery.  But, they are so brainwashed. 

There's this book called the Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome by Dr. Joy Leary. I went to a lecture of hers.  She talked about the things that have effected Black folks rooted in slavery.  Then she began her lecture with a prayer!  As if the African American in this country didn't learn Christianity from their slave master.  What a maroon (in my bugs bunny voice). lol

I think that even though they probably learned it from the slavers, once brainwashed, it became something to look to for hope when they had nothing else.  I mean, just consider the song "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot."  It could be equally perceived as a song about a peaceful death and being carried off to heaven, and as a song about some gracious person coming to save them from the bonds of slavery.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service