Ok, so due to my inability to lower my standards, I have unwittingly dedicated myself to becoming an atheist nun....(kidding, but that's the way it's turning out). So I live in the buckle of the bible belt, I'm educated, attractive for my age, own my own business, and mindless sex is just so easy (and boring) for us....isn't it ladies??? (You guys know that's true) But finding someone you actually WANT to be with, now that is where things get good and complicated!! I've decided in my wisdom, that I will not settle. Since MOST atheists live far far away from me, it never really occurred to me to try and find a man that could keep up with me intellectually on this site, but what did occur to me, was that I would meet awesome people who are intelligent, well spoken, educated, (whether self taught or schooled), witty and socially aware. I have hit the mother load there!!! This site helps me hold on to the fact that there are growing numbers of people just like me out there and I am not alone!! Rational, kind, and well spoken non-believers! I LOVE yall people....!!! (no but really, I do! That's a facetious southern accent btw and yeah, I am a southern girl and lovin there are so many talking atheists on this site!!!)
Now that being said....it can be a lonely life. But I just can't, and won't settle. You feel me?

Views: 1877

Replies to This Discussion

Well probably but I didn't want to suggest anything that would get myself excluded.

I think a lot of atheists are quite afraid of disease and are willing to compromise many many great joys in life in order to prevent them, because "why wouldn't we want to prevent them by 'correcting' our behavour", I say pooey! Back in 1987, AIDS had finally reached the hospital in my 150,000 inhabitants town. My promiscuous friends all looked at each other, gulped, trembled, bit our nails, and have all been tested several times since then, none of us ever got ANY STD, none. STDs are not much different than other forms of maladies. Whatever weakness your body is genetically/environmentally set up for in the rest of life, will apply to STDs. My only sickness proclivities are lung sensitivities and back problems, I otherwise never get sick, nor do most other members of my family. So STDs, meh, they don't worry me. My immune system is top notch.

Congratulations on the vasectomy, if all men could follow your example! I had my tubes cauterised after three abortions between ages 28-30, it's good to be beyond procreative pressures.

Ditto! It works both ways! A guy usually catches stuff from a girl.
I don't like the phrase "far from."  Condoms' effectiveness at preventing disease, as a percentage, is somewhere in the high 80s to mid 90s.  Preventing pregnancy, it's about 98 or 99% effective when combined with another method, such as the pill.  People should also get tested regularly for STDs, and even more regularly if they're sexually active.  I don't like casual sex just because for me, I don't enjoy it as much as when I have an emotional connection to the person.  But you can't always assume a worst-case scenario.  If you just want a one-night stand, there's a good chance that the other person does too.  The so-called "stranger danger" you seem to fear is as likely as anything else.  There are countless ways to die or come to harm.  No sense in constantly worrying about all of them, because if you did, you'd never be able to live a normal life.

haha, that's funny! you don't need a condom to make "the pill" 99% effective :)

The condom's failure rate on its own is 10% +/- a couple of percentage points, correct.

But I agree with you on the fear of death through sex being highly overrated!

Top 20 Causes of Death - Young Adult (25 - 29)

National Center for Health Statistics, National Vital Statistics Reports March 7, 2005
Rank Cause of Death Total Deaths No of Deaths Percent

All Deaths 17959 17959 100.00%
1 Unintentional Injury
6122 34.09%

* MV Traffic
3650 20.32%

* Poisoning
1310 7.29%

* Drowning
227 1.26%

* Fall
130 0.72%

* Fire/burn
113 0.63%

* Other Spec., classifiable
94 0.52%

* Suffocation
87 0.48%

* Firearm
75 0.42%

* Other Land Transport
70 0.39%

* Other Transport
69 0.38%

* Pedestrian, Other
64 0.36%

* Unspecified
63 0.35%

* Struck by or Against
59 0.33%

* Natural/ Environment
43 0.24%

* Machinery
31 0.17%

* Other Spec., NEC
27 0.15%

* Pedal cyclist, Other
6 0.03%

* Cut/pierce
4 0.02%
2 Homicide
2514 14.00%
3 Suicide
2423 13.49%
4 Malignant Neoplasms
1258 7.00%
5 Heart Disease
1076 5.99%
6 HIV
500 2.78%
7 Diabetes Mellitus
229 1.28%
8 Congenital Anomalies
213 1.19%
9 Cerebrovascular
183 1.02%
10 Influenza & Pneumonia
135 0.75%
11 Septicemia
119 0.66%
12 Chronic Respiratory Disease
116 0.65%
13 Nephritis
107 0.60%
14 Anemias
83 0.46%
15 Complicated Pregnancy
82 0.46%
16 Liver Disease
77 0.43%
17 Benign Neoplasms
62 0.35%
18 Viral Hepatitis
37 0.21%
19 Hypertension
36 0.20%
20 Pneumonitis
31 0.17%

All Others
2556 14.23%
As for deaths past age 50, they should all be categorised under old age, no matter what the details, since were it not for medicine artificially prolonging our life, many of us would die at that age anyway...;p

haha, that's funny! you don't need a condom to make "the pill" 99% effective :)

On that, I was just regurgitating what my 8th grade health teacher, more than a decade ago, asserted was the best means of protection.  Nevertheless it's pretty well-known that condoms' failure rate is pretty low, as well as attributable to, among other things, human error (and I think it's safe to assume that this is the most common factor). 

Err, can we join the order if we're not celibate? Has our order gotten beyond that discriminatory dogma?
If you are not celibate, then CONGRATS to you Joseph!! No dogma in here...we are just venting ;)
Well, it hasn't been all that long, and defining the relationship is kind of complicated. Anyway, I could go back to being single any day, once she wises up and chucks me back out into single land.
Maybe it is because you come off as a atheist know-it-all in that you can think that your standards should be higher then everyone elses, but maybe that is true. As for guys, they get whatever they can but as girls you can select and hold out for whatever you what, unless it doesn't exist. Should I have to entertain you in order for you to accept that I might have a greater hold on reality then you do? The details of dating are no less the same but atheists are very few and even if you find one you might not be attracted to him. Face it. Many guys are going to be hitting on you regardless of your believes but I guess you are holding out for the prefect atheist man. GL.
*shrug* Her expectations don't sound all that unreasonable to me.
Thanks Joseph...I didn't think my expectations were unreasonable either. Would it be nice if I met an atheist Viggo Mortensen? HELL YES, but I am 40 years old, and not inclined to living in a fantasy world. I just want to find someone I can talk to and go to the movies with at this point....lol!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service