so I wanna go on a tirade about smoking cigarettes ( and the alternatives for for Pot)

I live on Oahu.

Views: 157

Replies to This Discussion

So what's your beef?

Learned to field strip a cigarette while in the Army.  Leaves no trace.  On the one hand I agree that smokers (and I R 1) can be pain in the ass to others.  And, I also agree with the idea of no smoking in restaurants.  Reserved areas for smokers there, to non-smokers, is kind of like having a section of the public pool where it's OK to take a piss.

On the other hand, public ordinances and laws about no smoking in a bar?  Give me a freaking break!!!!  After all, it's not like you're in a tavern to have open heart surgery.  You're there to imbibe in something which is obviously not healthful for you in the first place (and for many, the hope of getting laid).  I have no problem with non-smoking bars for those who want to limit their vices.  As for the rest of us, let the tavern owners decided to whom their business will cater to.  Keep the government, and those moralizing hypocrites who are guzzling double scotches, off my ass.

Sorry folks, just had to rant, after I learned that here in Illinois, the local government just busted a Vietnam veteran for having a cigarette at the local VFW while having a beer with another veteran friend.

Just out of curiosity, what do you do with the filter?

And that's rough... was the guy even asked to put it out before they went apeshit? I remember one city's by laws had it where if you were going to split to smoking and non, you had to have different ventilation, and that worked fine, or you had to be either full on smoking or full on non-smoking. Most of the pubs either put in the ventilation as required or went full on smoking.
You shred the filter in little tiny pieces, and they rot just like the unused tobacco and paper.  Although now, I just put the filters in the nearest municipal garbage can.
Saying it is stupid to ban smoking in a club or bar is very shortsighted! The most obvious reason is people work there! Everyone deserves a safe workplace devoid of toxic air. The part about drinking is unhealthy does not hold up either, a drink or two will not harm you a bit. In fact moderate drinkers live longer! Smoking however is just plain poison that kills million each year and will take on average 15 years off your life.

Business are privately owned. I think any business should be able to choose if they allow smoking or not with the exception that if they allow smoking then they should not allow persons under the age of 18 in. As for the workers, you don't have to work at a bar that allows smoking. If you don't like it find a job that doesn't allow smoking on site. If a place is going to have smoking and non smoking areas they should have to have ventilation that creates a negative pressure towards the smoking section or completely seals the smoking section from the non smoking section including separate entrances.

Plenty of privately-owned businesses are subject to other, similar ordinances.  Saying that they're a private business, and they can do whatever they want is an invalid argument, unless you want to nullify just about every regulation on any private business.

And why force the age restriction on any business that wants to allow smoking?  That seems more restrictive than the general smoking-ban.

Scott that's a pretty antideluvian sentiment there! What is the difference between a barmaid or bartender and an asbestos worker? an office worker? (thousands of secretaries died of lung cancer that never smoked, they got pleenty at work)

The "negative pressure" area or smoking room is an unnecessary expense and not justifiable. Why spend good money too support the tobacco companies?

Well in the town I lived in for college--most of the bars were smoking, but the best beer bar in the city was also nonsmoking, with a back porch if you really couldn't live without it. It was much much nicer in the beer bar--The Alcove, because of this. The place never smelled of stale beer and smoke like every other bar in the city.

"Well one of these hands has to hold booze, I can't waste my precious time looking for a garbage can to get rid of this."

"Yeah, I don't care if you have ashtrays outside, I'm smoking in your house."

I want to title something: Stupid Pot-smokers. Giving the halfway decent pot smokers a really bad name.

My (20 year old)sister also took up smoking because it "made her look cool" and "calmed her nerves".

I, on the other hand, have gotten lung infections from the two times I've actually smoked. It's a sign! A sign that I have very sensitive lungs. I am a delicate flower when it comes to anything stronger than Caffiene, apparently.

Also, I hate people who are existing on food stamps but will take the money to finance such an EXPENSIVE habit.

"Yeah, I don't care if you have ashtrays outside, I'm smoking in your house."

You've actually heard this one?  Christ.  Anyone who tried smoking in my house despite my express demand not to would no longer be my friend.

Friend of the family. He was about to light up inside and I pointed out that we have a looovely back deck, covered from the harsh sun for the day and already containing 2 ashtrays for use, as well as comfy chairs to recline in.

He also killed our Orchid. Asshole.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Patricia replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
2 minutes ago
Warren Jappe replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
9 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Atheist Andrea's discussion Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?
10 minutes ago
Patricia replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
13 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
14 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Loren Miller's discussion Christmas: Behind the Curtain (The Thinking Atheist) in the group Hang With Friends
16 minutes ago
Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
17 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan posted discussions
20 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Loren Miller's discussion Christmas: Behind the Curtain (The Thinking Atheist) in the group Hang With Friends
24 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
32 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Pity Poor Rush, Whose Panties Are in a Wad Because There Might Be a Black James Bond
36 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Loren Miller's discussion Christmas: Behind the Curtain (The Thinking Atheist) in the group Hang With Friends
38 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service