Hi everyone,

Not to sound too conceited or anything, but my problem isn't necessarily finding dates/men.. but actually finding men who are not scared of my intelligence! Just being an atheist means you are dramatically more intelligent than the average joe. I would argue that this is mostly  because of all the careful study and research a lot of us do to finally come to that conclusion. Also, being an atheist means that you have the intellectual capacity to realize that the universe wasn't made for just you. Wow! That seems to take an extreme amount of reason...

I am 23, but I still feel the overwhelming pressures of sexism ... to let the man wear the pants. I was in a great relationship from 19-21 where it was completely egalitarian and respecting. However, the ones since then, and it seems those types that I am attracted to, are very intimidated by me being an intelligent/educated woman. It's the whole, "barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen" mentality it seems. I don't see gender roles as evil, but I do see it as evil when men basically want you to be their slave..... :(. ugh. 

Anyways, I've finally come to the conclusion that I need to meet people who are more on my wave length. Fellow humanists/atheists it would appear. My last relationship was a quick one, with an ex-jehovah's witness! Oh man, the mental scarring that man faced was just downright sad. Anyway, that didn't work out mainly because of how nutty that JW cult is! Since that, I have realized I must not settle for a "glazed eyed" drug addict. And by the word drug I mean religion. However, a lot of the atheist men I do meet bore me to death or are extremely socially awkward. Why is that? 

Anyway, does anyone face the same problem as me?

Views: 756

Replies to This Discussion

There's at least 100 in the region. http://www.meetup.com/FLASH-Deerfield-Boca/

I lived with a roommate in Deerfield Beach, and we spent less than $450 each for rent. The deals are there, and they're easier to find with 2/3 beds than studios.
I should probably try and find a roommate. I was thinking I might not find one, so I was just gonna avoid that and go with a studio, but perhaps the roommate would be better.

I also hadn't thought of Deerfield Beach... I'll check that out. Thanks.
Hey Nathan... yeah, thanks for the compliment! Yeah, its just sometimes even if I do meet a guy on my same wavelength intellectually, it might not be there in all the other categories. You relaly have to like everything about the person I think for it to work. Ah well, it'll happen some day haha
Yeah, you're absolutely right. Dating's hard enough, but throw atheism into the mix...

Think vampire's have better chances (just finished watching Daybreakers... sorry... :D)?

I'm only kidding, but it makes things hard... unfortunately...

And you're welcome... :)

Nathan,

My late husband was president of Shir Chadash, here in the Greater New Orleans area. I never found belief as easy as he did; he insisted that our daughter attend the New Orleans Jewish Day School and become a Bat Mitzvah. It's been 3.5 years since he died, but I stopped attending services after Katrina, when I took a job in retail that claims me from 2:00 every Friday till Sunday evening.

I identify as a Jewish atheist, so hearing that you are a Baal Torah is still a turn-on. (I was a Jew by Choice, having been raised Catholic, but having the sense to abandon that in 1973 when I took Judaic Studies in college; actually Judaic Studies turned me into an atheist who got wishy-washy when I met my husband some 18 years later). I'm sure that by now you have done the math--yeah, I'm 56.  Too bad we're so far apart in age--but then Boca is very far away, anyway.

I must add that, even tho' they know I'm an atheist, I've been encouraged to stay in the Chevra Kadisha. I think that there are a fair number of atheist Jews; the question is how to find us--and then I suppose, how to sort out the craziness that "atheist Jew" represents.

Gloria

Your problem Robert is being in northern LA. I used to live in Monroe. Not a whole lot there.
Yep! The freethinking pickings around here are pretty slim. If I go on a dateing website and type in my local area, almost every woman that comes up starts her profile with something along the lines of "I'm just a simple ol' country girl and I loves me some god" I have nothing agains rural, but I am not interested in simple. Life is complicated enough without oversimplifying it.
I used to live in Natchitoches, home of the Steel Magnolias.  Now I live in middle Georgia, where it seems as if damn near everyone is "raised in the church."
What's wrong with being socially awkward? I'm socially awkward because I have Asperger's, and I'm willing to bet there isn't a direct correlation, other than people who are socially isolated might have less reason for being religious.

The socially awkward need love too, dear.
I relish being socially awkward. But down here in Miami, with the "beautiful people" cough, hack, wheeze, if you aren't a social butterfly, you are pretty unwanted.

I think I will stick to being a misanthrope. :)
I think it's best to try to weed certain people out right away so you do not waste your time. The fact that freethinking women are usually very smart is something that I find very attractive. However, I can relate to being socially awkward. Sometimes smart people find social conventions to be silly. I'm working on that though. Finding true rational people is not easy in the general population. Even people who seem to be progressive often have "spiritual" beliefs however they choose to define them. Sometimes social clubs work better. For me, I try to get in a discussion pretty early on to gauge her level of supernatural beliefs.
I think my situation is even worse. I'm 31 and look like a kid in person, not to mention I am African American. So I am a minority of minorities. The women that I have met at Atheist meetings are usually old enough to be my mother or married. As for online dating, we all know its pictures first, personality and interest only help if the female is already attracted to you.Being that I haven't came across many Atheist women of different races, I am not left with too many options. Which means if I am searching for someone with similar interest they're most likely going to be Caucasian. I am not one to discriminate, I love all races and my own very much, but this is just the way it is. So here's an example of a recent situation. I was on a web site POF and read an interesting bio. The female's bio looked exactly like mine, interest, job, schooling ect..So I left her a message saying hello, and that It seems as though we have a lot in common, and maybe we could chat some time. Oh. I forgot to mention, she wasn't attractive at all. I was basically trying to meet someone,that I could converse with. So a few days later she replies " Believe me we have nothing in common". lol Not only that, but she didn't even visit my page to read my bio. Now, I know this could just be an ignorant racist girl. But this has happened several times, when trying to locate other Atheist, Skeptics, ect.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service