I live in Kentucky......I would guess thats part of the "Bible Belt". Why is it that its so hard to find a free thinking woman around here? Then again I forgot where I'm talking about.

Views: 82

Replies to This Discussion

:) thank you!
"Sounds about right. I'm in North Carolina, although we're only nominally part of the Bible Belt, nowadays. We went for Obama in 2008.

On top of that, I'm in the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill), which has three major universities in about a 10 mile radius. This is probably the biggest pocket of liberalism in the Bible Belt. So, we've got much better percentages of open-minded people, but if you wander much more than 10 or 15 miles outside of a major city, North Carolina is Southern Baptist central.

Being black also makes it kind of rough, since I think African-Americans are kind of under-represented, in the Atheist community, relative to the percentage in the American population in general. And then women in general are more religious than men ... and in my personal experience, the two combine to make for a whole bunch of religious black woman. I can only think of one black girl at work who isn't openly, very Christian.

So, I guess my point there is don't strictly stick to black women. I vaguely recall something about interracial marriage being on the decline, lately. I'd work against the trend, if I was you. I mean we've got several black women floating around on here, but playing the odds, you know?"

"I hope it isn't any worst than here in Louisiana. The sole reason I can't find someone is because 'm an atheist, I swear. Meet girl, hang out, talk, all goes well. Then the 'values' conversation happens and that's the end of it."

Wow. This is so true.
For starts, women are less likely to be out and out atheists, because they're more pragmatic, and religion is a very useful tool for socialization and coping

That said, less social women are more likely to be atheists, and they're probably just as common as asocial men, haven't seen a study on it. But you'll have to really go our of your way to make those connections. A college town is your best bet for population density.
Hey Silvia, I'm in TN but not far from AL. Is there a calendar of events for your North Alabama Free Thinkers chapter? I can't find an active chapter here so I would be interested in attending. BTW, what is DH? (Sorry I'm a newbie here...lol)
Thanks! I am only about 45 minutes away from Huntsville. I'll check into their site and see when their meeting are!
I'm in Indianapolis, IN, and we have a large CFI community, but few women. And most of them are married. Maybe we should just get mail-order brides from largely-atheist countries;)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
16 minutes ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
28 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
28 minutes ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
31 minutes ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
34 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
37 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
56 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
1 hour ago
Jason Blair replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
Jason Blair replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service