I feel like there are too many social pressures to meet most of the expectations driven by popular culture... besides, my lousy job and other factors make it nearly impossible to find, much less maintain, any meaningful relationships.

Anybody else find themselves in the same situation, or am I the only ape here left grooming themselves in the corner?

Views: 213

Replies to This Discussion

I have officially come to the conclusion that guys are simply too picky. It's not enough that I'm smart and kind and cook decently and read on a regular basis and dress nicely. I have to look like one of their favorite starlets or one of the most attractive women in the world. Nevermind I'm you know, decent to look at, I just don't woo them, I'm ugly to men, I'm unattractive, so the only guys who ever hit on me are 50+ and assume we won't be talking much.

I guess I'm just angry that again and again I get turned down or ignored for the solitary reason of "I wouldn't masturbate to you if you were on film." --apparently humanity hasn't moved past being shallow and foolish, and that's the primary reason why they ask -anyone- out.

*shrug*  Dunno how to help you.  You're asking the wrong guys, then.
They're mostly nerds and "fellow" free-thinkers that are all fine and dandy with me UNTIL I ask them out.

It's funny you should mention that, I just had a friend of mine here flip out the other day because I wouldn't ask her out after we'd been hanging out for a couple months, and I was like.."did it ever occur to you to ask me out?"

She looked at me as if I was on crazy pills.  As if no woman has ever asked a man out in history.

It's almost as if there is a double standard. Many women want equality in every way other than dating. Once that comes around it you are not working with an idea of classical dating roles, i.e. the woman waits for the man to ask her out and he pays for everything and blah blah blah, you are not a real man. So, yea I have pretty much thrown in the towel.

I especially find it unfair, because she knows that I have trouble reading the emotions of others, so unless she comes out and tells me she interested in me, no subtly, no matter how clever is going to work with someone like me.

Ask me out or at least tell me you're interested, don't hint about it.  I don't have the emotional skillsets to understand it, in fact I don't even have the ability to feel bad that I've upest you because of the misunderstanding.

Ah, life must be so easy, as a sociopath.  :-P

I used to think so, but after being tested it's more likely that I'm actually schizoid.  It's often confused with Aspergers, as it was with me when I was younger.

Unlike avoidant people I usually don't go along with groups or go to parties by choice.  It's hard to say whether it's easy or difficult since I only truly understand other peoples feelings intellectually.

Yes, but if you were the man of her dreams you would already know what she is thinking... you could read her thoughts.  Dont feel too bad, she would expect your psychic powers to be even greater if you were with her.

I don't mind asking guys out or even making the first move, in fact, I've never been asked out by a guy--I've always asked them out, mainly because I realize that I tend to go for the shy ones who never have the courage to do much of anything if it could embarrass them. I also either pay for things myself, or split the bill. I never -make- the guy pay. And I don't care about the "real man" thing. I hate cars, I hate sports. On the other hand, if he loves books and has an opinion on literature, I would be delighted. I don't like muscled oily dudes, I choose the guys to ask out carefully--but I still get turned down, even when I make the moves myself.

It's like I'm just not 'girlfriend quality material' for these guys who then complain about being single all the time--and they never even gave me a chance, when I daresay, I'm taking a bigger chance by asking them out to begin with.

This is 'merica!  Land of the free and home of the double-standard-bearing-sexually-repressed-and-socially-confused... it didnt fit the song so we substitued 'brave'.  Frankly, you have to be bold to walk into the world with such social disabilities!
Yeah, I wished I lived in some other country where men and women are considered equal ;-)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service