I feel like there are too many social pressures to meet most of the expectations driven by popular culture... besides, my lousy job and other factors make it nearly impossible to find, much less maintain, any meaningful relationships.

Anybody else find themselves in the same situation, or am I the only ape here left grooming themselves in the corner?

Views: 240

Replies to This Discussion

In the old days we only had to worry about being rejected by people we knew, but thanks to the internet we can now feel rejection from complete strangers based on nothing but a thumbnail photo.

Thanks online dating!
Usually, when you meet someone in the real world, you're not immediately looking for the "flaws" that would disqualify him or her from being a life partner. Online searching puts enough distance between us that we can make snap decisions, sometimes based on really petty differences. It makes it easy to reject someone.

But the rejections are basically meaningless. Don't worry about it.
This actually reminds me of the movie "He's just not that into you". The character played by Drew Berrymore talking about now that we have the internet, instead of just be rejected by phone you now have multiple sources to made you feel unloved and inadequate.
Just one of the many ways the internet is making us more productive.
Yes! That is the feeling! Holy shit, thank you. I've been trying to find the words to describe this uneasiness, and you've done it brilliantly.
I feel technology in it's essence destroyed relationships of my generation. I remember the anticipation of meeting someone, going home, and calling them up for a great conversation. In my generation, everyone abides by textin', and other forms of communication (besides phone conversation). To me, it's way to easy to meet someone via the internet, you have a lot of women becoming self absorbed because they have flaunting pictures over the net, as do the guys (which skyrockets their egos). I don't know about the rest of the country, or world for that matter, but here in New York i haven't had not one single good relationship worth talking about (who knows maybe it's me).
Although for those of us social dorks for whom phone conversations often feel awkward, the internet is a godsend. (Pardon the expression - a FSMsend perhaps?)
Yeah kind of a double-edged sword. Or catch 22 if you prefer a literary term.

:-D
Joseph - that's been one of my favorite De-motivation posters for a very long time!
This one's my favorite, though:

While I wouldn’t exactly describe it as throwing in the towel I feel I have very little chance in finding anything.  I’m disabled which severely restricts my social interactions and dating opportunities not to mention living on social security has restricted my financial situation to an absurd point.  I also doubt any woman would find me desirable because of my situation.  When you start adding things all together my chances start dropping quickly.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service