Call me old fashioned but I'm a dinner and movie kinda guy. Well this weekend marks the opening of a film based on the best-selling novel by author, philosopher and noted atheist Ayn Rand. The film (and novel) is called Atlas Shrugged. Rand was a polarizing figure of the twentieth century partly because of her unapologetic atheism, but more so because of the philosophy she introduce to the world called "Objectivism".

Objectivism extols the virtues of self-interest, individualism, unbridled free-market capitalism, limited government and the promotion of objective reality and reason. It opposes the notion of altruism, charity and government-regulated social equality. Some of Rand's most notable followers include former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan, US Congressman (and 2008 presidential candidate) Ron Paul, and US Supreme Court Justice Clarance Thomas.

My questions are:

1. How many will be going to see this film?

2. Will you be taking someone from Atheist Singles?

3. What are your thoughts on Ayn Rand, her "Objectivism" philosophy and her politics?

SEE LINKS BELOW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx-LpRSbbeA

http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/?gclid=CJDL77zhnqgCFaxk7AodEX9oHw

Views: 5

Replies to This Discussion

1. Not me.

2. No.

3. She's full of shit, idolizes serial-killers, and wanted to form a society based upon sociopathy.  Her first two points about rationalism and objective reality were good, and then she just went completely freaking nuts.

Also, dinner-and-a-movie is a horrible first-date idea.  Many people (not me, but plenty of others) are self-conscious when eating.  The last thing they want is do it in front of someone they're just meeting.  Then, you're supposed to go sit in the dark with someone, where you can't even talk and get to know him/her.

I'd rather go to a museum, a coffee/tea shop, somewhere where you can have a more interactive, active experience ... go kart track, laser tag arena, or whatever activities you would enjoy ... I dunno, anything during which you could actually talk to a girl and get to know her.

I'm going to be seeing it tonight actually, and was looking for someone to go with me on Facebook. No takers, obviously. Lol. If anyone on here would like to meet up after work (> 8 ) I would be glad to pick you up and we can go on an impromptu date combined with fine food and some good conversation. :-) Just let me know! :-D
You'd probably have better luck in the Ohio group.  We're a bit scattered in this one.
objectivism is nonsense.  it's just faith in senses.  her morality is against mine as well, but that's a value claim.
This film was self funded by a fundamentalist Christian who owns an fitness equipment company and has no film experience.

They will almost certainly gloss over the atheist and sexual freedom aspects of the book and most likely will dwell on the economic aspects.

It will be interesting if the top scientists etc.. that leave are portrayed as mostly Christian, I assume they will be seeing who is making the movie.

Like the bible the religious right does a great job of picking and choosing the parts that fit their agenda and completely ignore those which are contrary to their positions.

Yeah, that's one of the things that always makes me laugh.  The fundies make up the bulk of the people who worship Ayn Rand, completely ignoring the rational root of her philosophy, before she goes astray.  It makes me worry greatly about what the movie will turn into.

Did he at least hire competent filmmakers and stay hands-off on everything except for the obvious nudges towards religious ideology, in the writing?

I'm hoping for more MST3K material :)

He fired the director and replaced him with the actor in the lead role a very short time before filming started, this actor does have some TV experience but I am betting on a train wreck.

I worked in the movie industry and from an an anecdotal viewpoint this has all the markings of a bad movie. However I was not a director or producer so take it as pure intuition.
OK so as we move into Friday night and begin the weekend in earnest, I wanted to give a quick update in the interest of thoroughness. It appears that the movie will open on relatively few screens (about 200 nationwide). And the early reviews have been kind of brutal. The common complaints about the movie are that it lacks star power, it doesn't take time to develop characters, and the film's small budget has resulted in a rushed effort that doesn't allow for many of the novel's nuanced sub-plots and character back-stories to be explored. I'm thinking about going to see The Conspirator instead.
Hmm, something like a Stephen King novel?  Those almost always get brutalized in the movie translation.  The only one that did the source material justice was 'The Shawshank Redemption', which mostly did well because it was based upon a short story.  Of course that one made up for all of the others.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo liked nice girl's blog post Why I am here
2 hours ago
Jason Andrews commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
3 hours ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
3 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
4 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
4 hours ago
Freethinker31 commented on DAN DANA's blog post This Is How the Gaza War Will End
4 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
4 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
4 hours ago
Patricia replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
4 hours ago
BIPLAB DAS posted an album

anti superstition programme

its our regular antisuperstition school programme. this time we are in CHHATNA GIRLS HOGH SCHOOL of BANKURA DISTRICT in INDIA. we are disclosing the miracle behind FIRE WALKING.
5 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service