Ok, so I've been a solid, hardcore Atheist for almost 10 years now. Unfortunately, I live in a 3-mile-wide conservative town in the middle of the California desert, right along the Nevada border. Dating for me already seems to be difficult for me with the fact that I'm a huge nerd and very liberal. Add Atheism on top of that and the town will rally with pitchforks and torches!

I'm not a closet Atheist, but I don't run around town starting debates. People who know me can figure out I'm not Christian, that's for sure. 

Actually, my main issue is not dating a Christian, but dating non-Christians. You see, anyone I've met in this town that isn't at least a little bit religious is going through that social rebellious stage. In my mid-20s, this is disturbing. It seems that not believing in a God to these people makes it ok for drug and alcohol abuse, unnecessary violence, racism... everything I'm still against even though I'm not some goody-two-shoes Christian.

Anyone else here know what I'm talking about?

Here I am, stuck on the fence. Christians don't want me because I don't believe in God and have tattoos, everyone else wants nothing to do with me because I still have morals.

Views: 51

Replies to This Discussion

One thing you can try is looking for a meet-up group or club for people with an interest that you have or could develop in a scientific type field - astronomy, ecology, alternative fuels, geology, even something like bird-watching or geo-catching. People who are obsessed with god, drugs, or other silliness are unlikely to have a strong interest in something like astronomy, as it requires a little too much focus and intellect. Not everyone you meet there will be single, attractive, or atheist, but if you are working to cultivate a wider circle of friends who are more compatible to your world-view, you'll be on the right track, I think.
Seriously, if you're living in a small conservative town, it may be impossible for you to find someone compatible there. You're a member of a minority. You might want to think about moving to a larger place where you'd be more likely to meet someone compatible, and where you could be happier due to having a larger network of friends.

If you really want to stay where you are, you could try to start up a meetup group and get speakers on interesting topics, and then you'd help make your own town a more welcoming place for people like you.

Another alternative would be to take weekend trips centered around doing something enjoyable; you'd have fun and you might meet someone else at the same time. You could try to find conferences in different subjects, for example.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service