I couldn't. I've never had a relationship with a woman who was very religious. I think it would be a constant source of disagreement. OTOH, Darwin was married to a religious woman for most of his life, so it does happen. What has been your experience?

Views: 834

Replies to This Discussion

I used to date a very religious guy (Roman Catholic) who would drag me to church.

When we parted ways we decided to be friends, but then I turned lesbian and he turned born-again. Now he keeps sending me forwarded email messages about jesus, etcetera. he's on a mission to save my dyke soul. Proselytizing ought to be a crime.

Sighs.
I agree. My favorite aunt is a lifelong Lesbian and I hate how my family treats her. They still talk down to her like she's a child, and she's 51. It infuriates me.

Proselytizing was mentioned by the founders as something that they wanted to outlaw, but no one could agree on just how to do that. When the Bill of Rights came out, it has as the First - freedom of speech, which would appear to weigh in on the side of allowing it, but Franklin and others argued that it did not.

I agree that it does not.

One does not have freedom of speech to yell Fire in a Hospital or Theater. To tell jokes that panic people and cause accidents. To perpetrate fraud, crimes, or harm by misdirection. These are TORTS.

The TORT of harm by misdirection could easily be applied to Religion.

I look forward to testing that hypothesis in court cases in the future after I complete my Juris Doctorate.

D
Yes, if they were Satanist, Buddhist, Egyptian, or invented their own religion. I can respect someone who views religion as a deist, naturalist, or existential belief system. Buddhism is a religion, but it has no 'god.'

No, if they are of the "one god" ilk, they can die in a fire. I see nothing as more voluntarily appropriate for segregation than Religion, and you're talking to a Jew. Yes, I'm an atheist Jew. Apparently Judaism is the only religion where one is not allowed to NOT be a member. - David Cross.

It's also a cultural heritage, thankfully. I have no intention of going to Temple.
i'm with Rhett on this one... i think if someone truly has courage of their convictions it would be very hard to intellectually justify dating a believer. i mean... inevitably world view is going to become a very important factor, especially if children ever come into the picture (either planned or unplanned).

i could never justify engaging in a serious relationship with a woman who believed in the tooth fairy, and more importantly could even potentially be in the position to even be half responsible for the intellectual rearing of a child in the future. just not acceptable for an adult in 2009 that has access to books and the ability to read.
Can't do it. Actually married twice, and both became religious fundamentalists during the course of our marriage. I guess that means I drive women to god! LOL! No more. Only non-theists from here on out.
There is absolutely no way i would ever date a religious person. For me, the main attraction to a man is how he thinks, and i find it incredibly sexy when a man has the ability to reason and be logical as well as have a sensitive side, i like when people know where to draw the all important line between reality and fiction.

Believing in a god instantly tells me that a person is lacking some kind of ability to properly reason - which makes me sound terrible i know, but when a person simply 'needs' to have that belief because they cannot comprehend the natural explanations, it really turns me off big time.

Plus, as one who definitely wants to be a mother in time, i do not want to raise my children in a household of conflicting beliefs - i want to raise my children how i want thus i look for a partner with values as similar to my own as can be. Of course there will be the odd differing opinion, it would be unrealistic not to expect that - but with things that definitely matter, such as a worldview and morality, i want someone who shares mine and will not make my kids think that their mother is a sinner and that they too will be if they do not have faith in an invisible man in the sky!
Amen to that! I don't know how people can tell children that their parents are sinners and going to hell.
I read recently within the past month, I forget where, that according to research some 650,000 Americans become nontheists (this number includes all nontheist varieties, not just those who become atheists) annually, and that as a result by about the year 2050 fully 25% of Americans will be nontheist. So it looks as if time will eventually be on our side.
Oh, i never meant to imply that religious people are stupid, i know that they aren't. However, it seems that ordinarily intelligent people still often fall prey to religion and what bothers me is the fact that it occurs, that actual intelligent people still feel the need to think in such a manner, it's like an emotional fulfillment or something, that they cannot get from anything else.

Like you said, there's smart and intelligent on both sides - just that even the smart amongst us often do not seem to think as logically as they would like to think they do.
What? The whole world doesn't revolve around me??? LOL!!!
I could not, because I could not respect that kind of man. Gay xtians are really, really obnoxious.
Man, if there's plenty of pork and shrimp in hell, I'll be happy to join all you guys down there. Them's good eats. Fried shrimp, seafood boil, and pulled pork that's been cooking all day in a big 'ol trailer mounted smoker are some of the things that makes living in the bible belt nice. We eat well.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

eric stone replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
1 minute ago
Loren Miller replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
3 minutes ago
eric stone replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
6 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
8 minutes ago
Idaho Spud commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
9 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
13 minutes ago
20 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
23 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
23 minutes ago
Asa Watcher replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
24 minutes ago
26 minutes ago
Asa Watcher replied to eric stone's discussion Scalia should be shown our disrespect for continually insulting atheists
27 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service