Introduce yourself with a little pertinent info and maybe a recent photo.

Views: 2546

Replies to This Discussion

Hmmmmmm, sounds similar to the current unemployment problem.  I've seen dozens of news stories about companies who flat-out post on job listings that anyone who's been unemployed for more than 90 days doesn't have to bother applying.

Wow, that one girl is pretty fucked up.  What the hell?

And I bet you didn't do a very good job of getting her turned back around.  In the same situation, I think my mind would just lock up and give me nothing.  That's such a bizarre logical jump, to think that anyone who has been divorced is a monster.  Where would you even begin to address the misconception?

Exactly.  Kind of a circular argument.  Fortunately it's not universal, maybe 1 out of 10, I'd guess.  But I have had others suddenly stop talking to me as soon as I mentioned that I was divorced years before.  So it's a reasonably common prejudice.

On the other hand, it's no more weird than refusing to date someone because they don't live in the "right" town.  Or have the "right" job, or like the "right" sports.  It's amazing how little tolerance people have over trivial things.

I can understand the desire for financial stability, but what do you mean by the 'right' job?  Which field do you work in?

I had no luck at all in changing her mind, I was completely flabbergasted and really couldn't think if anything to say beyond "What's the problem?"  Not that I had much opportunity; she walked out just a few minutes later.  She just seemed to think that all divorced men were irretrievably damaged, and was bitter about having apparently gotten her hopes up only to find out that I was one of "those".

As to other criteria, I've also met women who refused to date anyone who didn't like football.  Or baseball.  Or hockey.  Another very common specification is that you have to be in some "uniformed" profession. Police, firefighter, prison guard, military. Current military guys, to be specific; I was in the army, but it was years ago; apparently there' a cut-off date.

Others insist that you had to go to a specific college, or set of them.  It's not uncommon to get screened out because your college wasn't an Ivy-league school.

And then there's the women who will only date doctors.  I have a friend who tells everyone he meets that he's a building contractor because he's tired of the women who only like him for the fact that he has an M.D.  Some lawyers have the same problem.

And then there are the ones that insist that you have to live in a specific place.  For instance, at one point I was three blocks outside the city limit, but my address still included that city; after all, it was the nearest metro area.  But quite a few women I've talked to insist that they will only date guys who actually live INSIDE the city limits.  What the hell difference can that possibly make?

Most other criteria are the same way.  So what if you are one inch shorter than her stated minimum? Why is that important? You're still six inches taller than she is, why isn't that good enough?

I've simply concluded that many (if not most) people are crazy.

My name is Robert Affinis; a new guy on the block. I have just joined Atheist Nexus two days ago and I have to say: I love the setup of communication here along with the various groups for membership.

As for a brief synopsis of me; first and foremost, I am an atheist. Although I do not degrade the beliefs of others, I exemplify the folly of theistic conceptualization. I have been a Christian before, walked and conversed with bishops and you know what; it's real ugly behind closed doors. Most of them do not really believe themselves; however, the collection plate is little much to pass up; if you catch my drift. I call these individuals who incur these theistic facades as Constantinian Christians (Emperor Constantine was never a Christian in his lifetime; however, purported this belief to sustain his kingdom from civil war; he remained a high priest of the Sol Invictus cult until death).

I am a single male and a proud father of two gorgeous girls. Currently, I am majoring in Industrial psychology and started an apparel line for freethinkers entitled AFFINIS.

I currently reside in Phoenix, AZ where I defend the right to separate from all forms of religiosity.

I always say think; it's not illegal yet! Thanks for having me.

62 year old German looking for her mindmate, who is like me a university educated, childfree, atheist, monongamous, non-promiscuous serious person.   More in my blog: 

http://egalitarianrationalcommitmentparadigm.blogspot.com/

This is a great idea for a site, but if there is one negative, the girl to guy ratio is absolutely horrible.  I will never date a Christian again, so I will just hold out for a girl that has a life based in reality.  Don't pick up chicks in bars or church, so I have fewer forums.   I am from FL/GA border, but I have lived out of country for the last decade and lived in Japan for the last 2 years.  Moving back to FL soon.  Glad to see that there are some openly atheist people in the SE now.

Well the guy to girl ratio is absolutely horrible in the atheist community in general. So that's just how the cookie crumbles--women tend to be encultured to just "do what others want"--it's honestly why I make a LOT of dudes angry when I'm openly anti-faith and pro-science, pro-choice, etc--they get angry the most because I'm not just meekly saying "okay..." and going along with it.

Honestly you can convince most women to leave their faith--I actually was slowly convincing one of my ex's to leave the catholic church after 3 years of dating during college--he was mostly afraid of the backlash from his family, which was all catholic. I think there will be even less backlash if it's a guy de-converting a girl--it's usually expected for a woman to take on the faith of the guy she's dating. Most girls are encultured for this, as well. You will have to work at it, though--so your best bet if you're lazy is to get someone who's already questioning god and hates organized religion. If you're really lazy, you just date an atheist woman--but be warned, we tend to be a bit more brusque and vocal about our opinions because we're already going against the cultural grain.

The girl-to-guy ratio on internet forums and especially on sub-forums is universally horrible.  In the present subforum, it's actually not too bad.  Compare Craigslist; on our local Craigslist, the ratio is 1:20, maybe 1:30.

I'm Ajay, a junior at SUNY Buffalo, dual majoring in electrical engineering and economics. I'm involved in the on-campus freethinkers group, besides NSCS.

I'm single and have been browsing on OKCupid for a while, but the response rate is too low, and then there's the business of transcending the friendship barrier.

(pedophiles stay away, you're one of the reasons I'm an atheist in the first place)

Umm, shouldn't this be a general qualifier, whether you have a daughter or not?  :-D  I'd think that even women who don't have children would want to steer the hell away.

Heh. Yeah, gotta watch your usage of conditionals. Otherwise, you can look like you're saying, "Yeah, but if it wasn't for that, I'd be all for it."

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service