Introduce yourself with a little pertinent info and maybe a recent photo.

Views: 2764

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, that much is true, but I don't imagine you particularly like being judged off of your height? I'd personally find it even more insulting, because it's not something I can change.

It's not a woman's voluntarily giving it out that is insulting... it's expecting it. Yes, I think it can be important, but if you are to date in our society, there are normal codes of conduct that you have to adapt to in order to be successful. Tact when handling situations such as weight are important... don't say 'looking for someone who isn't fat' (negative), say 'looking for someone fit and healthy as I am' (positive).

I'm stuck in the Bible belt... it requires a lot of patience dating here. I can date a guy for weeks before I find out he's more religious than he led on. Or worse are the ones who claim to have no issue with my being an atheist.... dated one a year, only for it to wind up ending horribly. I won't date a Christian again if I can help it.

But I am not going to say 'searching for someone who is not a bible thumping lunatic'. I'm more likely to say, 'freethinking agnostic atheist, searching for like-minded person'

It's all about what society views as insulting, or you will make yourself out to be quite the jerk... and no one wants to date someone like that. Even if they actually do fit your criteria.

But I am not going to say 'searching for someone who is not a bible thumping lunatic'.

Hmm, I dunno.  I might go with that one.  :-D

:D

First thing I saw when I checked my email. Thanks for making me laugh, good start to the day.

Yay!  I made a contribution!

Then could you just be honest and mention your exact weight in your profile so I won't have to ask?

I just glanced at this one again.  So, what you're telling us is that you expect everyone to put their height and weight in their Atheist Nexus profile?  Really?  That's ... so out there and unimportant for the majority of the people on here.  That's just silly.

Hello, I'm Angela.

I have a photo in my profile.

I used to be in the ornithology field, but I'm working toward getting back there. I also like certain video games. I come from a Baptist background. I struggle with a mood disorder plus other things, thought I would put that out there because I don't want to be awkward later.

I would especially appreciate anyone that is in the southeast Michigan area to talk to me, but anyone is welcome.
WooHoo for honesty Angela. Very brave.

*raises hand*  I'm psychotic.

No, seriously.  :-D

Like... seriously seriously?

Oh, and if anyone ever needs an understanding ear...

My name is Laura, and I suffer from Bipolar disorder...

I am not on medications, and I make due the best way I know how.'

I manage my finances, I am working toward a degree, I support myself daily.

And I have managed to hang on to the same group of friends for 8+ years.

And ask forgiveness for stealing my speech format from AA. lol.

(I know people typically want to stay away from people with it, but... well, I was inspired by Angela's honesty. And it's not as bad as media portrays it to be, it just requires acceptance and work)

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Bipolar Disorder, yes.  They're both forms of psychosis.

My mother and my maternal grandfather are ('was', in my grandfather's case) both classic manic-depressives.  My grandfather was probably up in the most severe 1%.  My father and paternal grandfather were both classic cases of OCD.  I seem to have picked up both.  The OCD is definitely the more obvious of the two.  The Bipolar Disorder kicked in sooner, around 11 or 12, but it got overshadowed by the OCD in my late teens.

I wouldn't think that anyone who knows anything about it would steer away from manic-depressives.  The vast majority of them have quite mild swings, most of the time.  People without the genetic disorder can end up with worse cases of neurotic depression, due to environmental factors, and you'll never know what to expect, before you're hit with it.  At least manic-depressives follow a pattern and are somewhat predictable.

Of course, mostly those who know enough about Bipolar Disorder to not be afraid of it are the manic-depressives, so meh.

My OCD mostly has to do with bodily cleanliness and a certain order around the home (not a cleaning manifestation, though), so the only real downside is my water bill.  I'm also unmedicated, because I'd rather not strip down my mind's functionality, in favor of stability.

Finally!

Someone who sees meds from my perspective. It's not a lack of belief in them. The fact is they do work, but you can't take them and not expect to have other areas affected by the imbalance of neurotransmitters. It will change you, even as it stabilizes you. Your mind doesn't function the same.

I have BPD as mentioned (suspect my mother had it, but not positive), ADHD (high % of my father's family, only 1 brother doesn't have it), and I was diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder as a teen due to panic attacks, but it hasn't showed up much in a long time.

The anxiety triggers manic episodes, but I've been dealing with it long enough to know what to expect, and how to be careful... my mood swings are mild as long as I don't go through any drastic life changes. (deaths, huge moves, ect.)

And the ADHD simply makes me ramble very quickly, and I don't handle caffeine very well... lol.  

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service