Many local AA members have heard by now that the "We Agnostics" group has been forever excommunicated from the Indianapolis Intergroup meeting directory. Some have heard of this author's rather dramatic exit from the charade that they chose to call a "Service Committee Meeting." While I'm not particularly proud of my behavior, I can assure you that the entire group in attendance knows where I stand on this issue, and the chairperson of the "committee" specifically knows my feelings.

It became abundantly clear very early in the evening that the committee had already made up its mind about what the outcome would be. It was not interested in Traditions or Concepts or Unity or Service. It was a war of opinions and anecdotes and popularity. One attendee of that "Service Committee" meeting even went so far as to suggest that the "We Agnostics" meeting was godless and therefore couldn't have a group conscience...violating the Second Tradition. Yet another attendee compared me to a mass murderer because I was passionately defending my right to be there.

Read the full post here: http://www.indyweagnostics.com/2011/06/intergroup-intelligentsia.html

Tags: AA, Atheist, Indianapolis

Views: 259

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I was stuck on it for a good while until My sponsor threw up her hands.  "Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of god as we understood him."  She said I only had to make a decision to do this and it would take time to work it out.  (Which it did)  My higher power is essentially my home group (of whom over half are agnostics,) the AA program itself (minus god,) and nature as I am a tree hugger.  Works for me but you will have to work it out in a way that makes sense to you.

Vancouver Canada is going through the same thing now, Joe. There are two AA groups for atheists and agnostics and they have been arbitrarily taken out of the meeting book and face being pitched from the Intergroup floor in January. Of course, being part of Intergroup or not won't stop the meetings from meeting and the followers from growing. It would just be nice to see people getting along. What a shame to fight so hard to overcome ones own battle with addiction which destroyed ones own life and those around them - only to have a life controlled by bigotry and pettiness.

It doesn't seem like much of a victory worth celebrating. Always great to see you online, Joe S.

Cheers,

Joe C

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service