“Star Trek” vet William Shatner threw down the sci-fi gauntlet when he named “Trek” the superior franchise when compared to “Star Wars.” For over a month his claim went unchallenged, but now Carrie "Princess Leia" Fisher is declaring war.

“They’re not in the same league,” the actress behind Princess Leia stated in a video uploaded to her YouTube channel. “I mean, they have the word ‘star’ in the title, and there’s space travel, right? Where did they go to? Klingon? It just sounds like a laundry detergent.”

Ahem, that’s Qo’noS, but point taken. From there, Fisher got personal.

“My space buns — they’re so much better than (Leonard) Nimoy’s ears.”

Then things turned political.

“I hear that (former vice president Dick) Cheney likes ‘Star Trek,’” she said with a grin.

Before signing off, Fisher offered a tip aimed at Shatner.

“So, here’s the thing. If you see Bill Shatner, call him Han Solo,” she said.

Of course, Shatner’s already on to her jab. On his Google+ page, he’s asked supporters whether or not they think he should respond to her video.

Shatner asks if he should reply to her.  What do you think Shatner should do?

Views: 271

Replies to This Discussion

Princess Leia needs no rescuing in this battle; she can take on the USS Enterprise all by herself.

Asked about statements William Shatner, the original Captain Kirk on "Star Trek," made in September calling his show far superior to Fisher's "Star Wars" movies, the actress struck back in a big way.

"They're not in the same league. I mean, they have the word 'Star' in the title," she said, laughing. And that was just the beginning -- in response to Shatner's charges that it was special effects that put Fisher in the famed metal bikini in "Return of the Jedi," Fisher asserted that she did indeed wear the costume. And, jokingly, she said that Shatner had borrowed it.

Then, the retort got political.

"I hear that [Dick] Cheney likes 'Star Trek,' so that right there," Fisher said, before then starting to talk about Shatner's kidney stone and penis. Really.

To be fair, Shatner was pretty pointed in his criticism, as well.

"'Star Trek' had relationships and conflict among the relationships and stories that involved humanity and philosophical questions," Shatner said in a video interview on his YouTube Page. "Star Wars' is derivative of 'Star Trek.'"

He was having fun, of course, but did seem sincere in his belief that his show was indeed better. And that included some aesthetic punches, too.

"Princess Leia, as beautiful as she was, and as wonderful an actress as she is, can't compare to the marvelous heroines we had on 'Star Trek,'" Shatner said. "The pretty girls were prettier than the girls in 'Star Wars.'"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/16/carrie-fisher-hits-at-will...

George Takei says stop fighting and join forces against Twilight instead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mvTCr5Z-0lA

oh cool! thanks for the you tube Scott! I agree join forces against Twilight!

I just watched it and that was the best! Star Friends unite against Twilight!

There is a debate about the whole issue on the Geek Out Blog on CNN.

Evidently Star Wars wins because it led to the creation of a new religion.

People at 'Star Trek' vs. Star Wars': The ultimate showdown are trying to use the creation of the Jedi religion as a positive point for Star Wars. We even have a true believer arguing for it. Its a blast.

Thanks Dee! Good stuff - appreciate it!

Might I point out that, excepting the terrible thing that was the Doctor Who movie, DW knocks both these franchises out of the water? It is the longest running sci-fi series for a reason.

And that's coming from someone who grew up on both Star Wars and Star Trek. As much as I love them both, they cannot compare to the epic wonder of the Who universe.

All aside, I like Takei's suggestion. Takei for president! <3

Yeah Takei for president - join forces against Twilight!

Dr Who is a serious contender in terms of episodes and cultural influence.

However I applaud Rodenberry's vision because it gave us a constructive scenario for the future (not counting the monster-of-the-week season he was no longer at the helm). Dr Who has no coherent vision I can see. It's thinly veiled horror.

Star Wars was about magic power destroying a peaceful interstellar civilization, not about how a peaceful future might happen.

Ruth - Generally, I agree with you, but in this case not. Doctor Who is far more than just veiled horror and presents the most consistently modern humanist perspective in science fiction television. So, I'm going to second Nerdlass in elevating Doctor Who far above the rampant America über alles militarism of Trek and the wishy-washy christo-buddhism of Star Wars.

Good points there David.

Rodenberry had a wonderful vision -- I agree Ruth.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service