I fully support First Amendment free speech - if we don't allow Westburo Baptist, the KKK, Neo-Nazis, Black Panthers, etc, to voice their opinions in public, how will we know who the fruitcakes are? But the constitutional right to free speech is different than making a nuisance of yourself at a family's grief.

But I will make this observation . . . you NEVER read about Atheists doing shit like this. Atheists don't fly planes into buildings, don't turn themselves into "Holy Explosions", don't shoot Doctors because they perform services they don't like, don't rape, pillage and burn the folks in the next village because they believe differently.

So . . . someone tell me again how 'people can't be moral WITHOUT religion????

Views: 40

Replies to This Discussion

You're right.

I ride with the Patriot Guard, and every time I've dealt with them, the WBC has had official permission from the city, and their 'authorized spot' was actually well away from the family/grave site.

If that was true in this instance, then the Court's rulling makes even more sense, as there was no actual 'harm' done. ANYTIME you sue someone, you must demonstrate actual harm and prove the defendent caused it.

How about full beards?  What about Van Dykes?
I hope he doesn't end up paying them. When you get a court settlement in your favor, if the person doesn't have the money then you only have a piece of paper. I hope he finds a way to make just enough money to pay for his living expenses and gets the maximum amount of exemptions possible.

I hated the supreme court decision, but agreed it was the right one.  It is WBC's right to do this.  No one's going to stop them from saying what they have to say.  However, they also have to be responsible for what they say.  Since this soldier was neither gay nor a member of a gay rights group, their statements about him are slanderous and have caused a great deal of pain for his family.  Since WBC slandered this young man and caused harm, they should be responsible for paying the family for the pain they (WBC) caused. 

Whether people are moral or not is really a personal choice - regardless of religious faith.  Atheists are a small group of people.  If we were a gigantic group of people like Muslims or Christians, we would attract more loonies who were just in it for financial and social gain and would use their lack of religious faith to cause harm. 

Since this soldier was neither gay nor a member of a gay rights group, their statements about him are slanderous and have caused a great deal of pain for his family. Since WBC slandered this young man and caused harm, they should be responsible for paying the family for the pain they (WBC) caused.

Err, they're not saying he was gay.  They're saying that America's support of gay rights and gay marriage is why God is killing America's soldiers.

... because if God wasn't killing them, we'd be able to go to war and have no one on our side die, obviously.

Bill Would Heavily Restrict Funeral Protests

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Dutch Ruppersberger has said that Congress cannot stop groups like the Westboro Baptist Church from picketing military funerals, after the Supreme Court upheld the groups' First Amendment rights last month. But the Maryland Democrat also believes that lawmakers can put restrictions on those protests to protect mourning families...

http://www.military.com/news/article/bill-would-heavily-restrict-fu...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service