What makes atheists, agnostics, humanists and skeptics tick? There's a study being conducted at the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada, that's asking that question. Psychologist Allan Cheyne and researcher Fred Britton have devised a short survey that they'd like atheists, agnostics, etc., to take.

More here.

Tags: atheists, psychology

Views: 7

Replies to This Discussion

I would very much like to be involved in this study
There's a link to the survey in the article.
I did the survey and volunteered for further questions.
Me too. I thought some of the questions weren't well-framed though. Sometimes they asked about two different qualities that one answer didn't exactly fit. Sometimes the questions just plain appealed to bias too; sorta pushing a particular answer beforehand.
Yeah, my local meetup.com Atheist and Freethinkers group was tossing it around on our message board a few days ago. I filled it out and left my e-mail address, too.

And yeah, a few of them had some odd wording, and a couple of pairs of questions were a bit redundant. I guess they were splitting hairs on a few of them, and I just fell solidly on the same side for both distinctions.
I know surveys are never perfect etc. but this one is shithouse.

Indicate influential social agents - family, friends, teachers, etc. facilitating or encouraging the development of your current religious beliefs and attitudes.

Yes, we're incapable of forming our ideas autonimously. It has to be someone telling us what to think.

And then there is the same "are you conservative or liberal" pap. If they think that the two are mutually exclusive then they are telling me they have no understanding of either. If they follow it with "are you a libertarian?" then they should use their university degrees as toilet paper because that's what they're worth.

It's junk. I filled it out. Told then where they can contact me for more answers to trash their carefully arranged pigeon holes. This study is probably only going to muddy already muddy waters.
Indicate influential social agents - family, friends, teachers, etc. facilitating or encouraging the development of your current religious beliefs and attitudes.

Yes, we're incapable of forming our ideas autonimously. It has to be someone telling us what to think.

Yes, which is why I didn't check any boxes, in that one. They gave you that option. Then, shortly after that, they gave you a text-entry box to explain things. Just make good use of that. *shrug*

And take a good long look at the world around you, sometime. Most people are sheep. We probably have a significantly lower percentage of sheep in the Atheist community, but I'm sure there are still plenty here. You shouldn't blame the survey makers for trying to quantify that component.
Influence is not the same thing as not thinking for yourself.
I just filled it out. Like most surveys a lot of the questions are definitely open to interpretation. Still, it was pretty interesting.
I did the survey!
I filled it out. :D I love participating in this kind of research. Only a few of the questions made me stop and really examine how i felt. I think this should go on the Nexus' main page.
You're right. I suppose though, that they covered this by saying you could skip the questions you wanted to. However, that's probably not satisfactory to anybody but them.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

EducationIsCool posted a video

Welcome to Jesusland (Part 20) - Spirit Science Doesn't Get DNA

Video response to Spirit Science (or TheSpiritScience) and his video, "Spirit Science 11_11 ~ Dna Activation," which you can view below. Spirit Science -- "S...
51 minutes ago
TNT666 commented on sacha's group No Nonsense
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo commented on Davey Lee's group Climate Concerns
3 hours ago
Clarence Dember replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Roundup Ready Corn IS Toxic in the group Atheists who love Science!
4 hours ago
Clarence Dember liked Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Roundup Ready Corn IS Toxic
4 hours ago
Craigart14 replied to Luara's discussion religious magazine in doctors' office
5 hours ago
Hiram replied to Hiram's discussion France Bans the Burqa: The Humanist Poll
5 hours ago
Loren Miller replied to Hiram's discussion France Bans the Burqa: The Humanist Poll
6 hours ago
Christine replied to Christine's discussion Joined the AFA mailing list
6 hours ago
Christine replied to Luara's discussion religious magazine in doctors' office
6 hours ago
Donald R Barbera posted a blog post
6 hours ago
Grinning Cat replied to Luara's discussion Proof of god(s)
6 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service