TV preacher Pat Robertson blames Haitians for Tuesday earthquake

Pat Robertson (watch the video):

"And you know Kristi, something happened a long time ago in Haiti and people might not want to talk about it. They were under the heel of the French, uh you know Napoleon the third and whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the Devil. They said we will serve you if you'll get us free from the French. True Story. And so the Devil said "OK, it's a deal." And they kicked the French out. You know, the Haitians revolted and got themselves free. But ever since they have been cursed by one thing after the other, desperately poor. That island is Hispaniola is one island. It's cut down the middle. On one side is Haiti, on the other side is the Dominican republic. Dominican Republic is prosperous, healthy, full of resorts, etc.. Haiti is in desperate poverty. Same island. Uh, they need to have, and we need to pray for them, a great turning to God and out of this tragedy. I'm optimistic something good may come."

Tags: Pat_Robertson_being_stupid_and_evil

Views: 16

Replies to This Discussion

Victim blaming: it never fails. Sure Pat, keep telling yourself that life is fair.
Pat Robertson is a douche!
Blast, Ya beat me to it Hugh. Simply Pat or preachers as usual.
So, where exactly is the reference to everyone in Haiti making a pact with the Devil?

Why do I even ask for such things?
Pat's history isn't much better than his theology. He's off by two Napoleons in the quote (the Haitians fought Napoleon I, not Napoleon III). I suspect that Pat was thinking about the famous Haitian "voodoo" when he was talking about making a pact with the Devil. If there was a pact that was ever responsible for Haiti's poverty though, it was made with the French, not the Devil. While Haiti was the only nation ever to be founded through a slave revolt, the enmity of the French was an ever-present danger until 1825, when the Haitian's agreed to pay a huge indemnity to compensate the French for the loss of their slaves. The loans they took out (from the French to pay the French!) loaded them up with a crushing debt that stifled their economic growth right from the start. They also faced the enmity of their neighbors (including the US) who feared the example of a successful slave revolt and suffered economically from that too. Haiti has never been able to crawl out from under a heavy burden of debt and that, more than anything else, is why she remains impoverished.

I think the earthquake though, had more to do with movement along the Carribean Plate faultline than either the Devil or the debt!
;^)
You and your silly reality-based outlook! Pat Robertson is so far BEYOND the reality-based world in which we live.
What a shit head!

I wonder if AN could collect some money and donate it to a secular charity as a group as a way of standing up to be counted as a group. The Kiva lending team is still beating the christian lending team. That's a good, positive thing.

How would we collect?
Who would we donate to?
Brother Richard might know what to do. We could pay him to organise it.
Pat Robertson: Taking d-baggerry to new levels since 3/22/30
The good thing to come out of this is for god to curb the activities of the devil and while he is about it, make those tectonic plates move in a civilized manner.
You know, when the quake happened I was half tempted to post here a poll to see how long it would take an American Evangelical figure to say it was god's punishment for whatever. But I figured that would be a bit crass.
you have to give ol' pat credit at least for saying the things that no rational person would ever manage to think up.
You know Kristi, something happened a long time ago to Robertson's brain: it was infected by a god virus and it people might not want to talk about it. He has been racist, homophobic and downright crazy about non-believers all these years. The infection seems to get worse with time.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service