This seems topical, since we have several Objectivists floating around.

Ayn Rand took government assistance while decrying others who did t...

Noted speed freak, serial-killer fangirl, and Tea Party hero Ayn Rand was also a kleptoparasite, sneakily gobbling up taxpayer funds under an assumed name [note: it might have been her legal name] to pay for her medical treatments after she got lung cancer.

tea-party-john-galt.jpgAn interview with Evva Pryror, a social worker and consultant to Miss Rand's law firm of Ernst, Cane, Gitlin and Winick verified that on Miss Rand's behalf she secured Rand's Social Security and Medicare payments which Ayn received under the name of Ann O'Connor (husband Frank O'Connor).

As Pryor said, "Doctors cost a lot more money than books earn and she could be totally wiped out" without the aid of these two government programs. Ayn took the bail out even though Ayn "despised government interference and felt that people should and could live independently... She didn't feel that an individual should take help."

But alas she did and said it was wrong for everyone else to do so.

I like the part under the 'serial-killer fangirl' link.  Her concept of a real man is great.

Views: 52

Replies to This Discussion

Then go and find a country without taxation, or form your own.  Good luck with that.  It doesn't work out as well in reality, as it does in Rand's books.

JP,

First of all, how do you know?

And second, I totally would, if I wasn't still so comfortable here and if I could. It is not worth it. I can still propser even though I'm being fed off of by freeloaders.

Right here is an admission that all this talk is abstract principle and not important enough to act on, because you are happy in this society.
Because I am strong enough to handle being bled, doesn't make it right. It is not abstract when the IRS would come knocking on my door if I decided to keep the fruits of my own labor. It is not abstract that welfare fosters weakness in society.

Funny John. Spartans rule!

I live in a reality where I am forced to pay a higher percentage of my money so that others may have more than they earn. Ancient Greece would suck! I'll take my Droid, the MRI I needed last year, the grocery store across the street and the less than half a day trip I recently took to Italy as well as the medical care that I could get a possible crippled son or daughter I might have. Help the crippled babies you don't know, I don't care. Maybe I'd even chip in. I give money even after taxes to multiple causes. I am not saying that to demonstrate how awesome I am, but to say that charity and philanthropy are inextricably linked to human nature and you can't even stop them by taking large portions of people's money away from them for much bullshit. It would increase if you stopped forcing people to help for things they are not interested in, immho.  

You should read Starship Troopers.  Ignore the movie.  That thing was a piece of shit that threw out everything good in the book.

This guy is not a big fan of hers.

Hysterical. Laughed out loud.
Ayn Rand's "This is John Galt Speaking" summarized.
http://www.philosophybro.com/2011/01/ayn-rands-this-is-john-galt-sp...

DP,

This is fucking awesome:

"There's a guy who built a thing that lets you fly through the sky in an air conditioned room. Of course he's rich, because flying is fucking awesome and people will pay him to do it."

Thanks for posting that.

Ironically, that is what people like Michael think is happening now.
Thief.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service