Read about a news story allowing Texas schools to teach the Bible.

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=10932756

Tags: bible, schools, texas

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

Okay, fine. What does that have to do with this topic thread? And I didn't say it was a Texas cult, I said it was a cult in Texas. That piece of information I got from you.
If we stepped out of reality for just a moment and the Texas school board would allow the following. This would be a great class if taught by a skeptic literature instructor. It would be a demonstration on how NOT to write a book. It's full of contradictions. Over the course of the book, the main character's (god) personality and physical form seems to change without reason. No way would it get published today.
Are you kidding me? Have you looked at the crap in the New Age section? Just the dust cover blurbs make my eyes bleed! They'll publish ANYTHING if they can make a buck without getting blown up.
"Have you looked at the crap in the New Age section?"

I was thinking more in terms of literature as in something with a story like a novel. Not "how to cure cancer with your urine."
Ah, okay then. Although I'd argue that there is plenty of awful shite there as well...but yeah, the Bible takes the cake in that department.
I just once, want to see someone teaching something like this:

And the Bible says that in the year 2400BC the world was covered in a flood...at the same time Egyptians were building pyramids and the Hindu religion was teaching the world was countless billions of years old.

The looks on the Christian faces would be PRICELESS.
Oh, the would be fun *evil grin*
It would be easy to overreact to this, but assuming that the following statement is true:
'Many protections were put in the law to ensure that the instruction would be "objective, not from a particular point of view, and would neither promote nor disparage any religion."'
Then I see no obvious harm to it, as long as those protections are enforced. That is, admittedly, something I would be somewhat skeptical about.
Especially by the state of Texas.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Rick Springfield replied to Rick Springfield's discussion Scientific Adam and Eve in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
31 minutes ago
Atheist in FundyLand commented on Joan Denoo's blog post Capitalism can't work without a poverty class.
1 hour ago
sk8eycat replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion How can people be good without god?
2 hours ago
sk8eycat liked Bertold Brautigan's discussion How can people be good without god?
2 hours ago
Atheist in FundyLand replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion How can people be good without god?
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo liked Bertold Brautigan's discussion How can people be good without god?
2 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion How can people be good without god?
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Experimental Ebola Serum May Be In Use On Americans in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Experimental Ebola Serum May Be In Use On Americans in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion How can people be good without god?
2 hours ago
Atheist in FundyLand posted a discussion
2 hours ago
HPhan replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Hawking Says Higgs Boson Could Destroy the Universe in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service