Since most of us abhor the thought of religious songs/ceremony when we die, I have chosen some music for my funeral (subject to change, of course). I have written it down and made sure my son knows what to do. The only two constant songs are Carl Orff, O Fortuna, and my favorite, which I want the lyrics passed out and sung at the end of the funeral, by everyone present, from the incomparable Monty Python epic Life of Brian, Look on the Bright Side of Life. I've told you mine, now tell me yours.

Views: 160

Replies to This Discussion

I've had a list for years, a few revisions once in a while, but these are the core tunes:

1. "A Walk in the Black Forest" Horst Janowski
  2. "Coconut Song" Harry Nilsson
  3. "Salt Peanuts" Dizzy Gillespie
  4. …anything by "Dread Zeppelin"
  5. "Yep Roc Heresay" Slim Galliard & Slam Stewart

Hadn't heard "Salt Peanuts" in years. Thanks Richard. Great list.

OH! I forgot one… 

But really, I could get away with just the first tune, …the irreverence is epic.

I heard someone use "I Did It My Way" which sounds interesting.  But since you mention Monty Python, how about the totally nonsequeter (sp?), "Isn't It Awfully Nice to Have a Penis?"

LOL fantastic! I will come to your funeral if you come to mine. At least we'll both have someone else with a warped sense of humor.

Definitely:

Parasites  by Ugly Casanova

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FcIkMIAe2Q

Something about a song about parasites eating you up to a happy beat with a horn section! Love it!

and all your thoughts, yeah, they rot.

Never heard of this one. You're right. Something about parasites eating you up with a happy beat is just....eerie. Makes me disassociate, tap my fingers, laugh even with the song as gruesome as it is. Yep. A1 on the wierd meter.

I have two in mind, both by Eric Whitacre:

Water Night

Sleep

Dude, these rock. Always said Mormons could sing. Very serene, calm, tranquil. Very fitting for a restful sendoff with a smile.

I've spent too much of my life worrying. This is much better.

Totally forgot about this song. With your kind permission, I think I will add it to my list. Bravo,sir!

Glad you approve!  Great topic.  A funeral should be a celebration of life, whenever possible.  Sometimes that's hard to remember.  I knew a charming, delightful 87 year old man who died last week.  Dropped dead in the parking lot.  I will miss him very much.  But I am very grateful for knowing this gentleman, and thankful I got to make his life a bit better too by helping him.  He helped me become more positive and cheerful, just by being himself.  I think he would like "Dont worry, be happy".

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service