Saudi activist Raif Badawi sentenced to 10 years, 1,000 lashes for insulting Islam

Shocking but unfortunately unsurprising news from CNN:

• Raif Badawi's retrial brings a much stiffer sentence than his first verdict
  • Badawi also plans to appeal this decision, a source who has followed the case tells CNN
  • His wife says she is "extremely scared for my husband"
  • Badawi's lawyer has been jailed on separate charges

... Badawi, a respected rights activist in Saudi Arabia, first got into legal hot water with the Saudi government after starting a liberal website and forum where users could discuss religion. ...

"He is a prisoner of conscience who is guilty of nothing more than daring to create a public forum for discussion and peacefully exercising the right to freedom of expression.," said Philip Luther, director of the Middle East and North Africa program at Amnesty International.

In the last few months, the Saudi government has passed a series of very strong anti-terror laws that many rights groups fear will be used, among other things, as a way to quash dissent. ...

(Read the entire article)

(More on A|N about Saudi Arabia's new anti-terror laws targeting atheists)

Tags: Saudi Arabia, anti-terror laws, dissent, freedom of speech, imprisonment, lashing, state religion, state terrorism

Views: 135

Replies to This Discussion

The Sultan of Brunei wants flogging and stoning for adultery and being gay, and now Raif Badawi gets 10 years and a thousand lashes for speaking out against islam in Saudi Arabia.  What is this, a game of one-upsmanship?  A further question: can we even expect Badawi to SURVIVE such a corporal punishment as that?  Even allowing for variations in the severity and technique of application, I'm dubious at best.

I'm sure that Amnesty International is all over this, though I wonder how effectual they will be in the long run.  How I wish the world would just say, "Treat people like that?  Okay, forget about oil sales."  [sigh] Like that's gonna happen anytime soon.

We could better forget about oil sales if people weren't so car-addicted.

Islam doesn't need insulting, it already is an insult, to everyone.

It seems that the Saudis are closing all the modern day loop holes.

You might be aware that as a concession to hardcore Shariah sects on the peninsula, the Saudis had to entrust their children to the most anti-Western of sects, the Wahhabis. These clerics claim everything Western is satanic, that the U. S. is the Greatest Shaitan. No wonder most of the 9/11 bombers were Saudi-born. Bin Laden himself lived there and his father built most of modern Riyadh. I knew they were turning on us when Bush 2 came back empty-handed during a crisis that saw gasoline at $5 some places. Not to forget, the Russians court the House of Saud, too. Long did the Saudis use our armed forces as his mercenary army, trading our meddling in the Mideast for a fairly stead sale of oil. But they now appear to have dropped us. They must despise Obama.

I can just picture him saying to GWB, "Who's your daddy, baby?"

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service