In a new online video for Crossfire the pundit makes the claim that conservative atheists are actually “better” than liberal ones,

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/s-e-cupp-im-a-better-atheist-than-bill-m...

Views: 339

Replies to This Discussion

Here's S.E. Cupp standing up for gay marriage and asking that Republicans support it. 

There's nothing particularly special about that.  The less zealous Republicans have been doing that since 2012.  They're beginning to realize that gay marriage is a losing issue, for them.  The polls are not in the anti-gay bigots' favor, and the numbers are just getting worse for them.

There are plenty of Establishment Republicans who are looking forward to the long-term viability of the party, while the Tea Party nuts are pushing the party to the extreme edge, which will only appeal to 20% or 30% of the population.

Maybe it has something to do with a sense of justice, too.

She's on Faux News.  I'm dubious.

Here's a really nice conversation with Penn Jillette and S.E. Cupp.

She talks about the idea that she's only posing as an atheist so she can pose as a converted atheist later. 

I liked what Penn Jillette had to say.

I'll watch that later, when I have time to sit down at a computer.

S.E. Cupp's position is logical.  It's quite possible to not believe in God, but to think people are better off believing in a God, or that society is better with religion in it.
Atheism is unique in that respect.  Religions involve a belief system AND a belief that people/society would be better off if they adopt the religion.
Religions conflate truth with usefulness.
But atheism is different in that the truth isn't a matter of what it's useful to believe.  Even if humanity were better off with religion, even if people are happier with religion, that doesn't make it true. 
That's a virtue of atheism, not a problem with it. 
It's likely that the tendency to be religious evolved in humanity.  It served a purpose.  At some time in the past, having a common religion helped groups of people to survive. 
That doesn't mean religion is adaptive for humanity now.  It could end up killing us all. 

I wrote on a faith related to atheism earlier. 

WTF?????????????????/

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service