Rick Santorum: "You should get very nervous" about Obama's view of religion

On Monday (Feb. 20), Rick Santorum resumed his attack against President Obama's religious values before an audience of hundreds of students at Hope College, a Christian school in Michigan where there's a GOP primary next Tuesday.

He compared the president to tyrants who want to limit the role of religion and accused him of being weak in defending religious freedom.

Tags: Obama, Santorum

Views: 499

Replies to This Discussion

I didn't know he was Irish.

Hell yes he's Irish. OK, at least part Irish.

Ohhhhh.  I didn't know his mother was any particular European nationality.  With many Americans, we're so mixed that you can't tell.

Sure. Haven't you ever heard of the Black Irish?

Getting way, way off topic (my fault) but my mother's family called themselves "Black Irish".  I'll never get the real history, but they actually did come from the area of New Philadelphia, Illinois - a black-founded, racially mixed community that no longer exists.  In my family, they claimed that the "Black Irish" ancestry was due to a Spanish invasion of Ireland, but I suspect it was due to racial blending in Illinois.  Her surname is also the name of a historically Black college in Mississippi.  My mother was sentimental about her "Irish" roots, naming me for the "Irish" Ballad, "Danny Boy".  Which was written by an English barrister, not an Irish song writer.  

more - he really does have Irish roots.  npr

"My name is Barack Obama, of the Moneygall Obamas, and I've come home to find the apostrophe we lost somewhere along the way," he said.

Moneygall is the tiny town in County Offaly that gave birth to the president's Irish ancestor, Falmouth Kearney, the grandfather of his maternal grandfather."

Isn't interesting that tea partiers and the like are are so focused on the President's Kenyan ancestry, but not his Irish ancestry.  No, they're not racist - no way!  Ummm.   I think his mother was really more Heinz-57, like me, but there is that Irish connection. 

Damn ! How come I missed the memo? Why didn't my friends tell me abo.....oh yeah.....never mind.

Someone send me an email about the next gathering...and uh....can I wear my Boy Scout uniform?

SB, I heard that also.  And, it doesn't surprise me. Of course he hates the right to privacy.  That right is to prevent him from entering our homes (4th Amendment), keeping our statements to attorneys private (6th Amendment), and keeping our bedrooms and sex lives private (9th Amendment). He wants to push Catholic theology on everyone, which is contrary to the decades long decisions that: people have a right to marry someone from another race with whom they wish (Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967)); have the right to use birth control without government interference (Griswold v. Connecticut, 281 U.S. 479 (1965)); and have the right to obtain a safe  procedure to terminate a pregnancy (Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (1973)). Apparently, this "champion" of liberty loves America. It's Americans he has no use for.

The consequences of the beliefs Santorum espouses (people must either not have sex, or make babies) are examined in this article:

The Real, Deadly Consequences of Rick Santorum's "Morality"   (Daily Kos, Feb. 19)

Summary: overpopulation, untold suffering, and death. Santorum's advocacy of "responsibility" evidently doesn't apply here.

Very brief snippet from an article worth reading in its entirety, with its information on the sensitivity of the world population to small changes in childbearing rates, and its critique of conservative foreign policy, among other things:

Quite simply, lack of adequate birth control means not enough clean water to go around. It means not enough living space or arable land to go around.   It means species extinction.  It means death, disease and starvation to entire populations....

i posted this elsewhere, but it is awfully relevant to this discussion as well.  take a look at this scarily accurate prediction from former Senator (R) Barry Goldwater:

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republician] party, and they’re sure trying to do so, it’s going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can’t and won’t compromise. I know, I’ve tried to deal with them."

And to imagine that some people thought Goldwater was once an extreme conservative.  How times have changed.

Yes.  When I am in professional situations and I can't reveal how liberal I am, I tell (when asked) people that I am a Goldwater conservative.  They usually don't know what that means.  Kind of like when I introduce my girlfriend as my "consort" instead of using a word they would understand.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service