Rick Santorum: "You should get very nervous" about Obama's view of religion

On Monday (Feb. 20), Rick Santorum resumed his attack against President Obama's religious values before an audience of hundreds of students at Hope College, a Christian school in Michigan where there's a GOP primary next Tuesday.

He compared the president to tyrants who want to limit the role of religion and accused him of being weak in defending religious freedom.

Tags: Obama, Santorum

Views: 493

Replies to This Discussion

What Santorum is doing here is attempting to void Article VI of the Constitution. He alleges that christians somehow are deserving of a special status, while failing to mention any other religious group or minority. At the same time, he impugns Obama's religious qualifications for office, a clear oxymoron in view of Article VI. This attitude should be questioned immediately by the media.

In an ideal world, it really should disqualify Santorum from office ... but then who would we be kidding?

Well, yeah, he's all for theocracy.

Personally, I'm voting for Santorum in the Republican primary.  I want Obama to have a second term.  No way in hell Santorum wins a general election.  I specifically changed my registration to independent, so I could vote in the Republican primary.

While you're probably right about Santorum not being able to win in the general election, think what it says about the state of political discourse in this country if an extremist like him could even win a major party nomination. We're more divided now than any time since the last civil war and I call it the last civil war because I think the stage may be being set for the next one.

Hugh, I've been thinking along the same lines. I am reading 'up' on the French Revolution. It feels to me like the same kinds of exclusions and divisions of society are increasing anger and distrust, now as then.

"Et ses mains ourdiraient les entrailles du prêtre,
Au défaut d’un cordon pour étrangler les rois."

Translation

"And his hands would plait the priest's entrails,
For want of a rope, to strangle kings"

Denis Diderot (1713-1784) French editor, philosopher
Poésies Diverses, “Les Éleuthéromanes” (1875)

... think what it says about the state of political discourse in this country if an extremist like him could even win a major party nomination.

I think that's rather the point I'm trying to make.  I think we need someone so bat-shit insanely theocratic that even the mainstream media stands up and takes notice.

Had someone told me that Frothy would be were he is a year ago I would have laughed in their face.  Santorum is a diseased puppy preaching to the hopelessly deluded - there hasn't been this much biblical babble in a political campaign since William Jennings Bryan thumped the bible.

The only saving value of this Jesus fest is that it may piss off enough of the fence sitters to get off the fence and join the side of reason and logic.

I don't understand why the media hasn't questioned this yet. Doesn't seem to make sense -- of course nothing seems to make much sense nowadays.

The fact that Santorum is not more exposed as what he continues to proclaim that he is, is a scandal in the making.  It IS open on internet media on mainstream websites.  If voters continue to support him, it is the willful ignorance of those voters and not just the laziness of media outlets, that is to blame.

In their defense, it's still the primary.  Hell, we had Pat Robertson running for president before.  Hopefully, if Santorum actually wins the nomination, as looks very possible, the media will pick it up more then.

Some of the media personalities do take him to task on his batshit ideas.  Martin Bashir, Dylan Ratigan, Ed Shultz, Al Sharpton, Racheal Maddow, Lawrence O'Donnell

Add to that list Maureen Dowd of the New York Times.

I am more and more convinced that the Republicans, who tout individual freedom from government, are the most anti-freedom group I have seen in years.  To the point of being dangerous. Santorum bloviates about his faith, how babies conceived from rape are "gifts from god," and how others who choose to think and see the world differently are somehow inherently evil and should be attacked for their thought crimes. Then we have the current stellar example of the Virginia Republicans who want to suppress, and ultimately deny women's reproductive rights. According to the current crop of Republicans, the government raising taxes is an atrocious interference in your personal freedom and liberty. Having the government invade your bedroom, genitalia, and your very mind is quite acceptable.

Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Party!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service