Rick Perry Says Prayer, Not Gun Control, Will Keep American Children Safe From Violence (HuffPost)

Gov. Rick Perry (R-Texas) has revealed his own plan for combating America's violence problem -- and it differs from President Barack Obama's on a key point. Specifically, the former presidential candidate said that instead of enacting tougher gun control legislation, Americans should simply pray for protections.

Obama unveiled new gun legislation Wednesday, recommending a host of Congressional measures supplemented by 23 executive actions to be carried out immediately.

The announcement, which may be the most sweeping effort to tighten laws in a generation, marked the culmination of a month-long review process led by Vice President Joe Biden.

In his own statement, Perry acknowledged the problem of violence in the U.S. but said enacting tougher gun laws was not the right way to solve it, the Houston Chronicle reports.

Perry said that there was "evil prowling" in the world that has appeared in television and movies, and then found its way into vulnerable minds.

"As a free people, let us choose what kind of people we will be. Laws, the only redoubt of secularism, will not suffice. Let us all return to our places of worship and pray for help. Above all, let us pray for our children."

Perry also assailed the liberal media and politicians for attempting to use the Sandy Hook shooting for a political end "that would not have saved those children," according to the Chronicle.

Read the rest here.

================================

Wonderful.  A government official who basically renounces the efficacy of government in favor of prayer to a supernatural being who is notoriously not in evidence, yet is supposed to cure ALL of our ills and bring some kind of golden age.  The naivete, irresponsibility and idiotic presumption Rick Perry displays in this instance simply goes beyond the pale.  I mean, why should we need a government at all?  Just pray to Perry's god and we should all be good to go, right?  That's worked fine in the past, hasn't it? 

Oh, wait...

Tags: Rick Perry, gun control, prayer

Views: 267

Replies to This Discussion

Like I said ... he's a True ChristianTM.

Unfortunately, he really doesn't suffer from it at all.  He has ridden his wave of denial to the highest governmental post in his state, and could almost have made it clear to the White House.

I don't know if I'd say he could have made it almost clear to the White House.  I think Romney had the best chance of winning in the general election, and we saw what happened with him.

A set of Obama/Perry debates would have been awesome.  Perry doesn't have the guile to lie about all of his positions, as Romney did in the first debate.  The election would have been over after the first debate, I think.

But your general point, yeah.  Perry doesn't suffer from denial; he makes all of us suffer from his denial.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service